1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Breeders' Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Nov 4, 2009.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

14 races at Santa Anita: six on Friday, eight on Saturday. (Personally, I hate this two-day format, but so be it.) The story of the weekend would appear to be a filly not named Rachel Alexandra. Zenyatta, made the early favorite after post positions were drawn, is 13-for-13 in her career and running against the boys for the first time, in the Classic. She has one running style, last to first, which ought to make for an interesting race as Mine That Bird, the Kentucky Derby winner, runs the same way.

Good luck to all.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Is this race the last one on Saturday?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think I'm going with Summer Bird, Quality Road and Colonel John in my usual triple box.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd pack up and move to wherever right now if they'd let me cover horse racing full time.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I just want to be one of the writers the NY Daily News sends to Saratoga for six weeks every summer so I can write "Here's how I blew my money today ..." stories.

6. trifectarich

Yes, scheduled for around 3:45 (Pacific).

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As long as you don't make picks in the paper.

8. Moderator1

Wouldn't want to encourage gambling!

Horse racing, of course, is LEGAL gambling. Still separates me from my money most of the time.

9. trifectarich

And they're off: 6-to-1 Man of Iron takes the opener.

Everything looks perfect at the track.

10. Moderator1

Shit. ESPN2?

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm on the road and haven't seen any races but I have nailed three of the first four thanks to some tips from my brother. I could be on the way to the BC of my life - I think I might have had three winners in all the other years combined!

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never seen a horse scratched because they couldn't make it into the gate - let alone a race like the Breeders Cup Classic - gotta feel bad for the Quality Road people.

Draft saved Draft deleted