1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Belmont Stakes - Borel's curtain call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 30, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That's not much.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

How about:

Other Bird, Other Cajun

(Desormeaux, like Borel, is also Cajun)

3. $4 tri box - 2/4/7 - paid $590 on a $24 investment.

I had $100 on the 7 to win and place but not to show. Going home with money in your pocket feels good. It feels real good.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I didn't play the race, but a handful of friends have really liked the winner, and the way he moves, over the past few months, and they finally got paid off. MTB was ludicrously overbet at 6-5, given that (a) we'd probably seen his best, at least until he has a chance to freshen and recycle, (b) he clearly didn't respond to NYRA's receiving-barn "experience", and (c) as was the case with Stew Elliott and Smarty, the name-rider corps was NOT going to give an out-of-town jock on the headline horse one inch; going four-wide and essentially being forced to move a sixteenth too soon with a one-way stretch-runner in this particular race is not the way to wax fat and prosper in the Belmont -- especially at 6-5 . . .

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Calvin Borel knows Churchill Downs, every inch of that track. He does not know much, if anything, about Belmont and I think that cost him.

Still, a win, a place and a show is a helluva showing for a horse that no one knew before May 1.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention that MTB was Borel's ONLY mount of the day likely didn't help his
    cause, either . . . wonder if that was a "corporate decision", or if the phone simply
    didn't ring?

Draft saved Draft deleted