1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Belmont Stakes - Borel's curtain call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, May 30, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not much for the ponies anymore but my brother can read the ink off a racing form. I think he's still jealous that I got to Del Mar before he did when I visited last year.

2. If they both run, I'm there.
    The first professional athlete my second son ever was photographed with was Easy Goer at the Saratoga barns.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Moddy, if you come up to Saratoga, the first round is on me.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Food good, but laughably overpriced, in a town where you DON'T have to overpay, even in August.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And permit me to reiterate my relief that Rachel is NOT participating in the Belmont, even though
    her absence will probably cost La Belle Belmont 35,000 (guessing) at the gate . . . live long
    and prosper, you witch.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Random fact: Buck Weaver was a parimutuel clerk on the Southside for a number of years after World War II.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Additional random fact: Beloved oldtime Blackhawk Reggie Fleming was a clerk at Arlington
    during the offseason summers, for years . . .

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, I knew I loved you. Fenian, not god.

Anyway, no funny hats. But Keeneland really is the best place on earth.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Been to Keeneland for racing. Not been to Saratoga - yet.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've never found there to be anything special at Siro's except that it's packed with racing fanatics for six weeks a year, and if you want to celebrate a winning ticket on a Pick 4, this is a good place to do it. But I can't imagine how desolate the place must be the rest of the year.

If you're going to Saratoga, go AFTER the Travers, when the crowds begin to thin and the whole place is much more manageable. Get there one morning really early and watch the horses work out, then go to breakfast . . . oh, can't remember the name of the place, but it's within walking distance of the track. I want to say it has an Irish sounding name, but I only went there for the first time last year, so I could be way off on this one.

11. I'd go for the Travers -- got to see the main event, folks -- and then stay for a few days to watch and gamble more leisurely.
    And IJAG, not one funny hat?

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

IJAG... if you ever come to Saratoga, you HAVE to wear a funny hat. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted