1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Baseball Thread, Part Deux: The Jerry Remy Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KP, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just love watching games broadcast from PNC Park, where you can hear every douchebag yelling at an opposing player or umpire.

2. Player Comparison

Player A - .347 OBP / .434 SLG / .274 BA
    Player B - .358 OBP / .433 SLG / .283 BA

Both players play the same position - who do you take?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In fairness, I have been that douchebag.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because Escobar will probably be a reliever when/if he comes back...because this is two straight seasons Lackey has missed considerable time due to an arm ailment and I have serious doubts both he and Santana will remain upright the rest of the season...because Vlad's 87 years old...because that bullpen is a wreck...and, of course, because Mike Scioscia is the most overrated manager in baseball by a country mile. Mostly the last one though.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is this for a career or over 20 games?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is there another manager in that division who is better?

The Mariners have their own issues. Morrow is already on the DL and I doubt Bedard can make it through an entire season without joining him there. Felix Hernandez always dominates in April. Now he has to show he can do it after that. And Russell Branyan is hitting way over his head.

The Rangers still don't have much pitching. They will hit, perhaps even better if Davis starts making more contact and Hamilton returns strong, but I don't see them running away with the division.

The Angels certainly aren't as good as they were last year, but everything has gone wrong and they are still right in it because that entire division sucks.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Note to Kyle Davies: You're throwing in the biggest park in the American League. Figure out a fucking way to keep the ball inside of the goddam thing.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I prefer to ask if there's a manager in that division that is worse. Bob Geren, probably, but only b/c he's got crazy-as-fucking-sin Billy Beane calling the shots from upstairs. Washington has the same issues with Jon Daniels and it's too early to tell on Wakamatsu.

I agree the M's aren't going to cruise and that a lot of things have gone right so far. And the Rangers have myraid pitching issues. But if the Rangers can figure out a way to keep the other team to five runs a game, they've got a real shot, especially if that Feliz kid can come up and have a Joba-like impact in August.

I don't know who will win that division, but I'm willing to wager right now the Angels DON'T win it.

9. This year

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thanks to Ramiro Pena and Jose Molina, Beckett gets out of another jam.

He's done now, though. 105 tosses through 6.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Still a very small sample size and it is missing the counting stats. In a vacuum, I would take Player B, but I'm guessing I will change my mind when you tell us who they are.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He ended up pitching pretty well. Worked out of a couple of jams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.