1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Baseball Thread, Part 1: The Adventures of Ozzie and Sadaharu Oh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The 2009 opener is less than 43 hours away. Time to ramp up!

2. Football_Bat

Re: 2009 Baseball Thread, Part 1: Let's Get It Started

Oldest major leaguers who were active at the end of the 2008 season and haven't declared retirement (courtesy of SoSH):

Jamie Moyer: is 46, turns 47 on Nov. 18
    Randy Johnson: turns 47 on Sept. 10
    Mike Timlin: turned 43 on March 10
    Tom Glavine: turned 43 on March 25th
    Tim Wakefield: turns 43 on August 2

So take heart, all you spares on this board!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

The amazing fucking thing about Moyer is he's almost certainly going to be a four-decade player...who began his career in the mid-80s. Most four-decade guys got a cup of coffee in a year ending in 9. Not Moyer.

4. Football_Bat

I was watching the Cubs play on WGN the day he made his debut in 1986.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Color me excited. I just hope there aren't many rainouts. Heard it is supposed to rain in Boston, anyone know a forecast for Baltimore?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How badly did they lose?

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

As a fanboi looser of the Tribe, try as I might, I can't get pumped up about this season.

Yeah, it's an odd-numbered year and the boys have traditionally done very well (starting with 1995, anyway) looking at that rotation makes me want to... well, hurl.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Rain all day. Accuweather says thunderstorms from 9a-7p. So I guess the game COULD start late. But your better bet is to say hello to Tuesday.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Following up on the Sheffield-to-the-Mets discussion on the Spring Training thread, the biggest concern is (as BYH noted) the slugger poisoning an already fragile clubhouse. After that, does he still have bat speed? Can he still play the outfield?

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's hard to have that much of a negative effect when you have no power, no leverage. It's kind of like Marbury going to the Celtics -- Sheffield's not important enough to poison the Mets' clubhouse. First sign of trouble and he's gone. As for whether he can still hit or play the OF, who knows? But it's worth $400K to find out.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

All this "poison in the clubhouse" and "clubhouse cancer" stuff is way overrated. If he hits, everything will be fine. If not, he'll be released and it won't matter. Sheff is proud and stubborn in his views sometimes but he's also a guy who will go out of his way for people he likes and trusts. Anyone remember him taking one of the Yankees' clubhouse kids to the All-Star Game a few years ago? I don't see him as a problem at all. If he doesn't hit well and gets benched, however, they should release him rather than have him gripe about not playing enough because he will speak his mind and there's enough media in New York that it will become a bigger issue than it really is.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Braves name 22-year-old Schafer as their starting center fielder. Hmmm....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090403&content_id=4119394&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl&partnerId=rss_atl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.