1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 4, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know that Iwamura was hurt this year, too, but he doesn't have nearly as extensive of an injury history as Freddy Sanchez. When you factor that in, I'm not sure if he is really that much better. Given what they got for Sanchez, I still have no problem with making that move. I just don't see the point of spending money on a guy like Iwamura when they have absolutely no shot to do anything in 2010.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What are you using to mark the date he files the restraining order?

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned: Mark Teahen was traded to the White Sox for Josh Fields and Chris Getz.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1867251,teahen-getz-fields-white-sox-trade-05.article

4. Trey Beamon

Iwamura is Sanchez with more walks/steals and less power/contact ability. Defensively, they're both solid. I'm not sure if the former has a mole, though.

It's pretty much a wash between the two. The way I look at it, the Pirates essentially traded Jesse Chavez for Tim Alderson, the top prospect they got in the Sanchez deal.

The reasons for doing it? Delwyn Young didn't show nearly enough during his extended 2B tryout last season, and the Pirates weren't comfortable moving Andy LaRoche there. They needed someone to play second base in 2010. That's it.

5. outofplace

I guess the White Sox finally got sick of waiting on Fields. Does this mean Beckham goes back to the middle infield and Teahen plays third?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't think he will.

His wife? Another story.

7. Trey Beamon

The linked article says that Chicago will likely let Dye walk and put Teahen in RF.

Not sure if he can handle it defensively, but I LOVE the idea of Beckham at shortstop. At third, he's a very good player. At short, he's a future superstar.

8. outofplace

My bad. I read right past that second paragraph.

I was under the impression that Beckham moved because they had the need at third base, but I really don't know much about his defensive skills at shortstop.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'd say Teahen is more likely to replace Dye in RF. Not sure he's got the bat for it, but there you go.

10. outofplace

I thought Rios was going to be Dye's replacement in right, though I guess they could play him in center.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm liking that trade for the Royals. Trading a $5 million Teahen for two cheaper Teahens (still 10 years of cost control between them) gives the Royals some options.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Teahen is good, but won't come close to the numbers of Dye, so that's a good thing for the other teams in the Central.

Draft saved Draft deleted