1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 4, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wang is done. As noted, no real harm in signing him, but in the end he will provide as many benefits as Cabrera.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why would the Tigers give Damon an $8 Million deal?

Is there any chance that some one else was offering anything close to that?

After offering him $14 Million for two years originally, the Yankees' final offer was one year and $2 Million.

3. Detroit gave Damon the contract that they did because they need a leadoff hitter and Damon has a career .961 OPS at Comerica Park (compared to Damon's .915 at the "New" Yankee Stadium). This was a good move by the Tigers. The mystery team that was close to Detroit's bid was the Tampa Bay Rays.

I'm willing to say that Damon has a better overall year offensively for the Tigers than Granderson will have for the Yankees.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I'd agree with that, Chris.

Granderson was at the peak. He probably wasn't going to get any better. He'll continue to struggle against lefties. Damon may be aging, but he showed he still has it. Plus, it's only a one-year deal. Not a lot of commitment there for either side.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'll take that bet.

6. YankeeFan

He might have a good (offensive) year, but I still don't know why they gave him $8 Million.

Time was on their side. No way the Rays would have paid that much.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably not, but Boras knew how badly the Tigers needed another bat.

The Yankees' last offer to him is meaningless in this context because they had long since dropped out. I know Yankees fans love to blame Damon for leaving, but both sides played that situation badly.

Cashman figured he could squeeze Damon, show how frugal he can be and hurt Boras in the bargain. Instead, they saved a few bucks, but left counting on Nick Johnson to stay healthy. That would be the equivalent of me quitting my job and spending every last penny I have on lottery tickets. The plan isn't guaranteed to fail, but it's quite likely.

(Of course, the Yanks have the talent to win anyway and most likely they will just "buy" somebody during the season if Johnson breaks down, but that's an entirely different matter.)

8. YankeeFan

I don't "blame" Damon for leaving, but I also don't blame the Yankees for not giving him a multi-year deal.

The Yankees more accurately predicted the market for Damon & weren't going to over pay. I think that's wise.

I think Damon regrets turning down two years & $14 Million from the Yankees. (He's basically said as much.)

9. outofplace

Absolutely. Where I disagree with the Yankees is when they decided to get cute and lowball him later. Did they really offer him $2 million for one year? That's a joke.

10. YankeeFan

I think they did, but only after they had traded for Granderson & signed Johnson.

It was pretty much, "well, if you can't find anything else, we still have $2 Million left in our budget, and you can have it if you want."

Pettitte was in the same situation last year and sucked it up and came back. At least he got -- and earned -- a bunch of incentives in his deal.

11. outofplace

You say he sucked it up as if it was some hardship. Pettitte thought he could get more and couldn't, so he took a reasonable offer from the Yankees. The Yankees played that situation perfectly. They thought they could squeeze Damon even more tightly and it cost them a useful player.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I know he's slipped badly but I'm surprised nobody has taken a run at Jermaine Dye.

Even Endy Chavez found a home and he's not expected to be ready from injury until May.

Draft saved Draft deleted