1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

And the Oilers are 2-0 against AHL quality teams, tonight beating the Islanders 3-2, should have been by much but the Islanders goalie - Lawson? - was out freakingstanding in the first period.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What's he say about the battle for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy this year? I figure it ought to be a real brawl.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maple Leaf Gardens, the only remaining Original Six rink, could become an active hockey arena again - cross your fingers! :)

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/696645

It does have ice in it right now, coincidentally. CBC is filming an interesting new series there called "Battle of the Blades," a competition which features retired NHL players like Tie Domi, Bob Probert, Claude Lemieux, Glenn Anderson and Ken Daneyko teaming up with champion figure skaters like Shae-Lynn Bourne (yum), Jamie Sale (yum), Isabelle Brasseur and Barbara Underhill. Ron MacLean and Kurt Browning are the hosts.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jMYRB2pCHP5he9Nlt8legPoKYzLw

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oh come on. the Montreal Forum still exists. it may be in the sacrileges form of a souless mall, but the building is still there.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Matthews arena (home of the Bruins 1924-1928) is not only standing, but still Northeastern's home rink.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I just wish Loblaws would do something with it. (Loblaws is a very old and large Canadian grocery chain)

MLG has completely vanished from Toronto's collective memory and is in danger of becoming a derelict building. Loblaws could then tear down it and replace it with a 40 story condo. Having Ryerson University play their hockey games there would be one step toward resurrecting the building. And that part of the downtown could use a grocery store. :)

BTW, is there a lamer idea than "Battle of the Blades"?

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I don't think there is a lamer idea than "Battle of the Blades", it sounds awful. JR, did they put ice down just for that show?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I believe they did.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Forgot about that one, and I did know it. Sorry. :)

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I eagerly anticipate Battle of the Blades ... if only to ridicule and laugh.

Training camp isn't even through its first week here and I already want to punch Theo Fleury in the face.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

wow, that's crazy. Why not just use one of the other hundred or so rinks in the area?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ask Tie Domi. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted