1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

Funny bit:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/2009/09/16/10927751-sun.html

The Edmonton Oilers are expecting to see the first overall pick in the NHL Draft tonight when they host the New York Islanders (7 p.m.) at Rexall Place. John Tavares, battling the flu, did not play in the Islanders' 2-1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks in Terrace, B.C., on Monday night.

Isles lost.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Shush, the Sun is doing more with less ... like a daily Theoren Fleury report in Calgary.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Puck Daddy handicaps the Calder Trophy race. He's got Cody at 4 and Matt Duchene at 7. Hedman ahead of Tavares who is too high on the list at 2.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Freshman-Class-Top-10-rookies-who-could-dominat?urn=nhl,189934#remaining-content

And he even has a "Lost" reference.

This year's rookie crop is deeper and more talented than last year's, which makes handicapping the Calder race like predicting the series finale of "Lost": Having John Tavares(notes) win is like predicting the resolution of the Jack/Sawyer/Freckles romantic entanglement, and predicting Ville Leino(notes) to win is like finding out the entire series took place in Hurley's mind during a week-long Double-Whopper binge (no wonder he never lost weight).

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Don't go bashing Georges now. Sure, not much of a hockey player, but in terms of a selfess human being away from the rink, he's right up there with some of the most giving athletes out there.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Thought this graf towards the end was a bit confusing:

Not all the Habs are in tune with the new ethos. Fourth-year forward Guillaume Latendresse, who has overhauled his off-season regimen in each of the past two seasons, says he switched to a high-protein diet, but that he’s not willing to renounce meat altogether.

Wouldn't switching to a high-protein diet mean that he's eating even more meat, not cutting back? I don't know, I'm not up on all these fancy diets.

6. This is random, but I miss playoff overtime goals with Gary Thorne on the call.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

R.I.P. Fred Cusick. Voice of the Boston Bruins for 44 years and first American broadcaster inducted into the Hall of Fame. He and Turk were a great pair. Thanks.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leafs lose 3-2 to Boston.

Four fights in the game including two by ex Battalion "Lumbering" Phil Oreskovic. Noisy crowd--it was a special promo night so there were no suits in the Platinums but God help me if the nitwits didn't start the wave near the end of the third period.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

It's nice to see Canada has reached 1986. but the good news is,.....you're almost at the Grunge era......you guys are gonna love it!!!!

the best part is, you already have the required flannel shirts.

;D

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The wave has been a long time plague. One that I regret was gladdly part of back in the day but now am annoyed by.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've been annoyed by it since before you were probably born. :)

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Oh probably :)

Draft saved Draft deleted