1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Where was it played?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

New Westminister. I wish the game was more popular. I can't believe that one of the networks didn't pick this up. I guess they couldn't interup there hours upon hours of poker.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I complained about this on Facebook when TSN showed clips from the brawl but couldn't be bothered to discuss the score of the game in question or anything else.

It's one of our two national sports, dammit, and in the lacrosse world the Mann Cup means just as much as does the Stanley Cup to hockey. The example I like to make is the Shanahan family of Mimico, Ontario. They don't cut Brendan any slack because he's won three Stanley Cups - they're just as proud of the five Mann Cups that his brother Brian won (consecutively, by the way).

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And both immortalized in a framed photo hanging at The Goose. Brendan & Brian in their parent's backyard, Brendan with the Stanley Cup, Brian with the Mann.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Damn, I gotta see that place soon. That and roller derby. ;)

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Hockeyville promo in Terrace looks like a big hit.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Looks like Sutter is gonna shake up the Flames.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/sutter-gets-everyone-pulling-in-same-direction/article1287755/

There's a new sheriff at the Saddledome and he wants it done his way. No more half-hearted play. No more offence first and to heck with all that defensive-zone work. What Sutter wants is for his team to function as a unit because it sure didn't do much of that last season.

And James Mirtle is doing a team by team analysis starting with Atlanta and Anaheim in today's blog.

He's do a team from the East and one from the West every day for the next fifteen. Alphabetically, of course. :)

http://www.fromtherink.com/

8. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

FYI: Backlund, Jokinen and Iginla have been playing together for the first couple of days of training camp.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Whatever the first line consists of, it will produce big numbers. The problem is who will produce after that. Also according to some media prognostication it looks like the top pairing will be Bouwmeester and Reghr, leaving Phaneuf exposed playing with someone who probably shouldn't be a second pairing defenceman. I think the smarter move would be to keep Phaneuf and Reghr together (Reghr can cover for a lot of Phaneuf's defensive shortcomings and help repair his confidence and overall play), and put Bouwmeester on the second pairing as Bouwmeester is probably their best all-round defenceman (Reghr their best defensive defenceman, Phaneuf best Offensive threat -- Bouwmeester a mix between the two minus the physical side).

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

And the Oilers AHL team - with a few NHLers sprinkled in - beat the Flames AHL team tonight 4-1.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Loved this story about one of my favorite players, George Laraque, going vegan. No dairy, no poultry, no fish, no more leather shoes or animal byproducts.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/laraque-happy-to-veg-out/article1289191/

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No one gets more attention for less than Georges Laraque.

Draft saved Draft deleted