1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who will they pick? Tyler Seguin is rated No. 1, although the only thing he really has going for him over Taylor Hall is that he's a centre.

Hall has played, and excelled, in more big-game situations. He's won a Memorial Cup and is going deep into the playoffs again this season (and his Windsor Spitfires sent Seguin's Plymouth Whalers to the sidelines for the second year in a row, sweeping them this time). He's played at the world junior championships. He's that much more ready to play professionally.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

but the key question is who will be better in 5 years. Didn't Hall just miss out on last years draft by a couple days?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Blackhawks don't have a goalie they can count on. That will kill you quicker than a gun in the postseason.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Hall.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The Bruins fanboi in me is hoping the Oilers take Seguin, because Hall would be a quick, immediate fit for the Bruins (who, with Savard, Bergeron & Krejci already have plenty of centers ... just no wingers to bury anything).

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Honestly, I will be happy with either, but if I had to choose I would take Hall because of his game breaking ability. They haven't had a player of his ilk since . . . I want to say Glenn Anderson. He also already has shown chemistry with Eberle at the World Jrs, who is a centreman and scored 14 points in 11 games in Springfield after his WHL season ended this year. Also the final central scouting rankings were completed before the OHL playoffs when Hall and Seguin went head to head, and by most accounts I've read, it wasn't even close between the two in the series.

I know you're trying to judge for the future, but just because Hall is the better player now doesn't mean he won't be the better player long term.

But then my exposure to both players has been very limited, I'm sure the guys who have been scouting them non-stop over the past year or two will have a better idea of which will be the better player.

I'm glad they have the choice, I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to make it.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Atlanta fires John Anderson. Rick Dudley to assume GM duties. Waddell appears to still have a place in the organization.

8. mb

mb Active Member

Huh? Am I the only one trying to figure out the logic in this one?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's Atlanta you'r e not suppose to be able to figure them out. although, Dudley is a real good judge of talent.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed on Dudley, but Waddell needs to go.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He has more lives with that organization than Bob Pulford had with the Blackhawks

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Waddell's being moved to a position where he can inflict the least amount of damage to the actual on-ice product, which is a move that is way, WAY overdue. Kind of like Rich McKay with the Falcons. I have no clue who they hire to replace Anderson, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted