1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I fully expect to see the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup finals.

They'll beat Phoenix in the first round. Chicago's goalies will be their undoing and San Jose is a bunch of choking dogs.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

another brilliant Lowe move.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Dear Ballard: We're sorry!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Hornby/2010/04/11/13542296-qmi.html

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's been a shitty day for me, you're baiting me, but I'm not going to bite.

Yeah, the signing did not turn out.

All I will say is the one year he was actually healthy -- 08-09 -- he was worth every penny. He was great offensively, he was physical and he was actually responsible defensively.

This year he got injured and when he was healthy wasn't worth a damn.

There were also talk of trading him from about Christmas on and he will be dealt in the off season -- once July 1 rolls around all restrictions are off. The contract was also front end loaded, so his payout the last couple of years is actually less than his overall cap hit which may appeal to some lower budget teams.

However, I find it strange that what annoys him is a lack of communication between management and the player. Do all players require their hands to be held by management? He even admits it is a two way street. The fact the team is in dead last, a position they had no way of predicting they'd be in when they signed him does play a roll I am sure. Lack of success on the ice certainly should not sit well with anyone, especially veterans.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I was honestly not trying to bait you, just another panic move by Lowe IMO. Said it at the time and stick by it now.

I think Souray is being a complete baby in this case, the Oilers stepped up and overpaid him. It's good for the Oilers that he wants out, they can free up the 5.5 and hopefully spend it wisely. This assumes that a team is willing to take on an injury plagued defenceman, but if there is anything that has been learned is that there is always a GM out there who seems to be willing to take on these contracts. Just look at Gomez going to the Canadians last year.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good column.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Jumped to conclusion on the baiting -- just a shitty all around day -- health is obviously the big question, but if he is healthy he is more than capable of 20+ goals a season. His cap hit is 5.4 but he only costs 4.5 mil a year which if you are a low budget team looking for some discounted pop from the blue-line he's your guy, especially if your a team paying to the lower limits of the cap floor -- NYI for example plays with a 44.5 mil cap this year but an actual payrole of 38.9 mil, there are several other teams that play with a an actual budget far below the league cap. Certainly not a huge market for him, and he hurt his ability to be moved with the comments he made, but there will be someone in desperate need of a boost on the power play that will take him on. What the Oilers can expect to get for him I don't know. They will likely have to take salary back (a bad contract) in the transaction as well. At the very least they will have until June 30 to kick tires.

Souray will be just one of many moves made this off season.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Leafs (Abomi)Nation" by Dave Feschuk (Toronto Star) and Michael Grange (Globe & Mail) is a terrific summary of the last 43 years of incompetence by two very good reporters and writers.

One little factoid: The Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund's investment in MLSE--they're the largest shareholder--represents around 2% of their total investments.

Also has a great section on "Blue & White Disease" where mediocre players develop a strong sense of entitlement because they're a member of the Leafs and actually think they're stars.
    Kyle Wellwood aka The Michelin Man is the perfect example.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Toronto media helps them to develop that entitlement.

10. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Chicago vs. Pittsburgh in the Cup Final. Sid wins another.

Detroit may be hot right now but Blackhawks have an impressive team with experience gained from last year's run.

Washington may have best regular season record but Pens showed last year that they can get it done.

If Vancouver had Mitchell back and Luongo playing like he did 2 years ago, not this years version, I would pick them to win Western Conference. As it is I think they will be fortunate to beat L.A.

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

Edmonton gets the first pick.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

And the Edmonton Oilers finally win something this year -- Oilers hold on to the top pick. Was certain the Panthers were going to usurp the pick. Thank God that conspiracy didn't turn out.

Draft saved Draft deleted