1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NBA season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Den1983, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Where's LeBron gonna go? New York? Yeah, that'll get him to Titletown.

2. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

My wild-ass prediction for this season: Luis Scola will be an All Star.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Only Cavaliers fans dismiss out of hand the notion of the Knicks being able to build a winner around LeBron James. Not saying he will leave, but it's pretty shortsighted to assume that Cleveland would be a better longterm destination, just because well, he's from Akron.

With some cap room, LeBron and the fact that New York City is a different universe than Cleveland for a young athlete, I suspect they would be able to build a winner around him in very little time.

Oh, they won't be overpaying Anderson freaking Varejao or have such minimal pieces as Delonte West or a gimpy Ilgauskas. But they'll find a way to manage.

4. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

What happened to the conspiracy theory that LeBron's marketing money goes through the roof if he plays in LA or NYC?

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Gene,

That was disproved by Vince Carter, who made bazillions even though he played in Toronto.

6. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

But could Vince have made two bazillions had he played in LA? I don't know the answer... I have no clue how that shit is determined.

The Knicks have never had the best player in the world, so it's tough to determine how it will impact the city. It could turn that city upside down.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

After watching him my freshman year in college, I just can't process that Chris Kaman is starting his seventh NBA season. I think this qualifies him as a "wily veteran."

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

They only gave up Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic for him, so that's not too much at all.

But, yeah, he's done. And the Cavs look pretty bad.

The Blazers, however, are looking incredibly sharp, albeit they are playing the Rockets, who may pull a reverse Wizards and go from 50-somethin' wins to 19 or so.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

What else do you want Ferry to do? Atleast he's not standing pat. They weren't going to get Howard or Yao to put down low, so might as well try Shaq.

Ferry and everyone else knew damn well if they would have stayed pat, they would have definitely accomplished nothing.

I do like the Parker signing and I think the Powe move will pay off.

10. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

In the playoffs, LeBron is going to play 46-48 minutes a game and will win the game on his own or lose it. That wouldn't matter if he had Shaq next to him or if he had Kevin Garnett next to him.

The one thing Ferry has struggled with is the draft, but that's something nearly every GM has struggled with.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Haven't seen it anywhere on here, but Blake Griffin out 6 weeks with a messed up kneecap.

No truth to the rumor that Dunleavy was seen with a bottle of Wild Turkey heading out into the ocean in a inner-tube.

Is there any coach who looks as miserable as him? Clippers won't win 20 games this year. 20 would however be an improvement of 19 from last year.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeah. I actually feel bad for the Clips, and especially for Griffin. He seems like a good kid.

Also, Glen Davis gets the early vote for "Moron of the Year" for getting in a fight with an ex college teammate, breaking his left thumb and is now out 6-8 weeks.

It's been reported that the Celtics organization, from top to bottom, is very, ahem, displeased with Mr. Davis' actions.

Draft saved Draft deleted