1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NBA season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Den1983, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Clear-cut No. 3? Who did they add to improve the team? Drew Gooden and Shawn Marion? If this was 2005, those would be excellent moves.

The Nuggets lost one game to the Mavs last season and that was a closely-fought playoff game. The Nuggets will finish several games in front of the Mavs and I'm glad. Mark Cuban and his racist rant at Kenyon Martin and his mom was ridiculous.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The Nuggets topped out last season. They are too crazy and dysfunctional to take the next step.

Marion is going to have a monster year running with Jason Kidd. He's going to be really good. And he makes them better defensively. Drew Gooden as a starter is an upgrade over Erick Dampier, easy.

I've heard some folks argue they could challenge the Spurs for No. 2. I'm not ready to go there.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Marc Stein has released his rankings. His are: Lakers, Celtics, Magic, Cavs, Spurs, Mavs, TrailBlazers, Nuggets, Hawks, Jazz.

Mine are: Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Magic, Cavs, TrailBlazers, Jazz, Hawks, Mavs, Nuggets. Though I like the Wiz if they can stay healthy, and I think the Hornets and Clippers are heavy sleepers.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The Nuggets are my pick for "team that overachieved last year but will fall back to earth this year, and probably hard" a la Utah in 2007-08 and New Orleans last year.

There's way too much crazy on that team for it to work.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see how Artest affects the Lakers and the same with Rasheed and the Celtics. As a Lakers fan, I fear the Spurs more than anyone else this year. Best offseason moves and Duncan desperate to win one more before he calls it quits. And with a healthy Manu, man, that team can be dangerous.

Locally, I hear a lot of optimism about the Wizards. Losing Jamison for 10 games hurts a lot, plus their first 15 games are brutal. If they can get through November with a .500 record, they could be OK.

East: Cavs
    West: Lakers
    Champ: Lakers
    MVP: LeBron
    Rook: Griffin
    Def MVP: Howard

Not a lot of surprises in those picks, obviously.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Two cool things on ESPN right now...

They have a uniform column that shows all the retro unis teams will wear this season, and some of them are cooler than the Patriot Pete unis.

I really enjoyed Simmons' two-parter with a steaming cup of of coffee. The NBA is his wheelhouse.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. I'm looking forward to his book.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Clipper curse is alive and well. Griffin out six weeks with stress fracture in his knee. At least he hasn't suffered a Manning/Livingston injury. Yet.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying it so far.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Awwwwwwwwwwww, poor Celtics:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=4597206

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Big baby.

He would have seen serious minutes resting the old men.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm buying it later today. Looking forward to it, especially because there are so few NBA-related books that come out each year. I am prepared to be infuriated by certain points. For example, if he complains again about Magic "fouling" Isiah at the end of Game 7 of the 1988 Finals...I will light myself on fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted