1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 World Series of Poker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CentralIllinoisan, Jun 15, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's the key -- I really think if a pro can get through the first three days he/she has a chance to win it because by then the dead-money donks -- you know, the types who push all in or call big pre-flop raises with suited connectors because, well, "they were suited" -- are all gone and the tables are playing at a much higher level.

But in recent years pro's have gotten to the brink and either melted down or gone completely card dead or took bad beats at the finish line.

Last year Scottie Nguyen had the thing within reach and melted down.

Phil Ivey twice in the past five years has gotten into the top 30 -- one time he got bad beat on the final table bubble by Moneymaker, the other time he just went completely card dead and fizzled out.

Matusow took a bad beat at the final table a few years ago

Dan Harrington ran into Raymer's huge chip stack.

But the bottom line is as the days go on, the pro's like Hellmuth really have to be considered favorites.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

None of those guys are as good as Hellmuth. He doesn't usually make a big mistake. He ended up with 196,000 in chips. The chip leader for the day has 531,000. Johnny Chan's got 178,000.

Today is the official Day 3, so everyone will be in the same room. There's 1308 players left, and they could get down to the money today (666).

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As much as I hate to say it, if Hellmuth gets in the money with a decent stack, he has to be the favorite.

Guy is good.

Though it would be pretty damn cool to see Johnny Chan at another final table.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Somebody said earlier that there was really nothing to watch for anymore ... that maybe a female winning it would be cool. I agree to point, but I also would LOVE to see Hellmuth win it again ... or any of the great pros who have yet to win it. Allen Cunningham would be my choice after he got close a couple of years ago. I'm tired of the no-names ... gimme an establishment guy.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Hellmuth at the final table is probably the only thing that can save ratings, which I don't think will be very good to watch live poker.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't be too impressed with the Poker Brat's chip stack. Not when the chip leader has 801,000.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Viktor Ramdin was the first name I recognized at over 500k. Also, Matusow, Jeff Madsen, and Gus Hansen are pretty much neck and neck with Hellmuth. Allen Cunningham has 265k and Johnny Chan has 220k. The pros should be able to make plenty of noise in this tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if one makes the final table at all.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

They're down to 474 players now.

Chip leader has 1.4 million

Shawn Sheikhan has 660,000
    Hellmuth has 475,000
    Ramdin has 470,000
    Matusow has 438,000
    The lovely Evelyn Ng has 418,000
    Cunningham has 386,000
    Gus Hansen has 355,000
    Jeff Madsen has 348,000
    Johnny Chan has 252,000

Lots of good players right in this thing.

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Surprised if one makes the final table? Several pros make the final table every year, but they're not well-known because they're not on TV. Just look at the WSOP threads on www.twoplustwo.com or www.pocket5s.com and see how many of their message board posters are left. Many are internet or live pros. And just as good as Gus Hansen or others mentioned above.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Sheikhan and Matusow went at each other in a previous World Series, right?
    Wonder if they've made up or they still hate each others' guts.

And they're going to televise the final table live? If so, Hellmuth and Matusow have to be near jizzing themselves at the thought of being there.

If 2-3 of the names spinning listed make it, the finals would definitely be interesting to watch.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Matusow and Hellmuth at the final table is ESPN's wet dream.

12. When they played together on HSP, they seemed to put it behind them and actually play off of each other. I don't think there is any serious animosity between the two anymore, iof there ever was any. The mouth has a way of looking serious then joking it off soon after.

Draft saved Draft deleted