1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 U.S. Ryder Cup captain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Sep 24, 2006.

?

Who will be the next U.S. captain to lose the Ryder Cup?

1. Paul Azinger

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Mark Calcavecchia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fred Couples

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Fred Funk

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Jay Haas

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Mark O'Meara

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  7. Corey Pavin

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The quote is from the year Tiger turned pro.

--------------

Funny story about this. The way this particular story was written, it ended:

"Tiger, Tiger, Tiger. All we hear is Tiger."

Get used to it, Freddie. It looks like we'll be hearing that name for a long time to come.

---------------

Mr. Lugs and I got such a kick out of this (also for reasons having to do with who wrote the story) that it has stuck with us for years.

"Get used to it, Freddie" is now a commonly-used expression in our household.

If Mr. Lugs says gas prices are up, the response is "Get used to it, Freddie."
    A crying infant on an airplane? "Get used to it, Freddie."
    Honey, I don't feel like taking out the trash. "Get used to it, Freddie."

:)

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I wonder if the US would have shit the bed as it has if Payne Stewart was still around?

Here are my choices for captaincy (in order of preference):

1. Jack Nicklaus -- He designed Valhalla and he's overseeing the redesign, which will be completed in time for the Ryder Cup.

2. Fuzzy Zoeller -- He's a native (born, raised and still lives right across the Ohio River from Louisville). Won two majors and is popular. Of course, there's the whole Tiger Woods/Fried Chicken thing. That could make it very interesting.

3. Phil Mickelson -- That way he won't have to play.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think a quote from September of 1996 (when tiger turned pro) qualifies as an old quote. And Funk quickly changed his tune.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D He didn't really have a choice, did he hondo?

F_H: Fuzzy Zoeller's Ryder Cup record: 1-8-1. :-\

5. Freelance Hack

OK, so he was Mickelson-eque in the Ryder Cup. He's still a hometown favorite and can get the crowd pumping.

The crowd can be a tremendous factor in the Ryder Cup.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

The joy of Tiger giving Fuzzy a "go fuck yourself" face the entire weekend would be awesome.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

So what does Fuzzy serve in the team room? Fried chicken and "whatever it is those people eat"?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Mark O'Meara will never get the job. Too many higher-ups in the PGA of America remember him leading the revolt in '99. As I posted before, Funk and Haas are out ... no majors. Calcavecchia and Couples are a couple of dunces who only want to know what off-season events they can play for guaranteed jack and why isn't every courtesy car an Escalade. That leaves Pavin or Azinger.

9. Freelance Hack

Which, in and of itself, might be enough for el Tigre to go 5-0-0

Draft saved Draft deleted