1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 U.S. Ryder Cup captain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Sep 24, 2006.

?

Who will be the next U.S. captain to lose the Ryder Cup?

1. Paul Azinger

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Mark Calcavecchia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Fred Couples

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Fred Funk

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Jay Haas

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Mark O'Meara

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  7. Corey Pavin

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Too much slamma-jamma dunking and not enough "playing the right way." ::) ::)

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I read that Verplank was unhappy he didn't go back out in the afternoon. Apparently, Lehman told him he would play both sessions. Then, when Verplank and Johnson (I think it was Johnson) were on the 13th hole in the morning, Lehman told Johnson he'd be playing in the afternoon. Verplank asked if he would be playing and Lehman said no. So Verplank got pissy and said he thought he deserved to be out there because he had helped the U.S. get a point even though he didn't play well. Now, if he said more, I didn't hear that.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

After about eight holes yesterday, I was definitely thinking that Mickelson and DiMarco should have been told to pass the ball at least five times before shooting.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Chris DiMarco has plenty of heart, especially to make up for his lack of anything resembling distance, but he got his ass kicked.

The U.S. team played GREAT in singles today, the Euro team played ungodly. They went -35 under, that's impossible to beat.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

If Julie Bowen is wearing lingerie and holding two pitchers of beer, I am so there! ;D

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Mmmmm, Julie Bowen.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Make John Daly the captain and have two assclowns - Rich Beem and Tommy Armour III come to mind immediately - as alternates and just bitch this baby up. If we can't win it we might as well have something entertaining to watch.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Bravo, Tino.

May as well throw in my 2 cents in here on the captain. Funk reminds me a lot of Woosnam. Azinger would be a gut choice.

Just throwing this out there. Could someone along the lines of Nicklaus or Watson help this ship?

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Pavin was there this year to assist Lehman. Does this give him an inside track on how to keep the Ryder Cup in Team Europe's possession?

Whoever gets the captain's spot in 2008 do us all a favor: Tell Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson to do what they like to do most outside of majors during the PGA Tour season -- take the week OFF.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a different theory. Make Woods the playing captain. He loves challenges, is very smart, and is a fierce guardian of his reputation, which would be on the line in a new way. Also, I don't think he'd have any problem benching Phil.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, the pissing and moaning you'd hear about that.
    The captain also has to juggle egos and personalities. I don't think choosing the most overwhelming ego and personality as captain would be a good fit.
    It would be like making Michael Jordan the playing coach of a basketball team. He might have been the most talented, but when every big play goes to him, sooner or later the peasants will be revolting.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Slappy, I made that suggestion because it would make the Ryder Cup more entertaining for me, not to be actually helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted