1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Tax Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's still a realized benefit, though, right? That end-around works?

Color me floored.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It still works. It doesn't show up as income and we don't get taxed for it.

3. Simon_Cowbell

What is the limit on a gift you receive from a company without it being taxable?

I mean, if a company paid a Rolls-Royce dealer $300,000.

And then if said dealer left a car and a title in your driveway.

That is still a $300,000 payment from the company.... right?

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That's a gift from the dealer, and taxable.

I don't think this is considered a gift. I'm sure there's some explanation for why it's OK, but it's the way the company has always done it.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Legitimately asking here, not being snarky (I've never used TurboTax)...couldn't you print and snail-mail the state taxes and only be out the cost of a stamp instead of $25.95?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Math errors, Missed opportunities, papers flying everywhere... all a thing of the past.

7. I haven't received my forms yet :mad: ... or else my returns would already be turned in ...

By the way, I'd like to suggest freetaxusa to everybody out there who makes less than $50,000 a year. They do your federal taxes for free and do the state taxes for like 5 to 10 bucks. You do it all on the computer.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I get that. Just curious about that kind of fee for an e-file.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you lived in Minnesota you would. When I was in college my roommates and I got a "renter's credit" check from the state both years. You could buy a lot of beer with one of those.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Dammit... a border state.. so close!

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I did some freelance for the first time this year, but it was out of my home. I plan to determine the space where I did the work and make those deductions as noted. But because I had to be connected online, can I deduct the entire amount of Internet expenses or just a portion?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Stupid question...we got married in May, but I kept an apartment in the city where I work until the end of the year. Do we need to file as married-jointly, or married-separate?
    I used to be able to almost do my taxes in my head. This year's gonna be a handful.

Draft saved Draft deleted