1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Story of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 3, 2008.

?

Here are the finalists from AP, vote for your top 3.

1. Americans snap Ryder Cup drought, beating Europe for the first time since 1999

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. As young stars emerge around the NHL, Detroit beats Pittsburgh for the Stanley Cup

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Kansas defeats Memphis in a classic NCAA men's basketball final

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Big Brown wins two legs of Triple Crowns but pulls up at Belmont; steroid use causes stir

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Champ Car World Series merges with Indy Racing League, unifying American open-wheel racing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jimmie Johnson wins third NASCAR title, tying mark set by Cale Yarborough

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Swimmer Michael Phelps wins eight gold medals at Beijing Games, setting individual mark

64 vote(s)
    90.1%
  8. Cyclist Lance Armstrong says he will come back to racing in 2009

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Twice-beaten LSU thumps Ohio State to win college football's national championship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Giants stun Patriots, ruin New England's perfect season, with Super Bowl win

48 vote(s)
    67.6%
  11. Lady Vols win Tennessee's second straight women's basketball title, routing Stanford

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. Boston Celtics complete NBA's biggest one-season turnaround by beating Lakers for title

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  13. Economy: Downturn hits baseball attendance, NASCAR sponsorships, LPGA Tour, among others

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  14. Underachieveing Spain beats Germany in Euro 2008 final; first title for Spanish since 1964

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  15. Danica Patrick becomes first woman to win a major open wheel race, the Indy Japan 300

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  16. Tiger Woods has knee surgery following US Open win, can't practice until 2009

14 vote(s)
    19.7%
  17. US men's basketball wins Olympic gold medal for first major title in eight years

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  18. Baseball owner George Steinbrenner officially gives up control of the New York Yankees

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  19. Tom Brady injured in opening game, leaving NFL without one of its biggest stars

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  20. After 46-hour rain delay, Phillies beat Rays in five games to capture World Series

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  21. Brett Favre retires, unretires, forces trade to Jets; then leads New York resurgence

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  22. Sprinter Usain Bolt wins three golds, sets three world marks in Olympic track and field

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  23. Ireland's Padraig Harrington wins the British Open and PGA Championship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. Chinese keep first women's gymnastics gold after being cleared of underage athletes charge

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  25. Hall of Fame lineman and longtime NFL players union chief Gene Upshaw dies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. Rafael Nadal upsets Roger Federer at Wimbledon, ends Federer's record stay at No. 1

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  27. After congressional hearing on Mitchell Report, feds investigate whether Clemens lied in steroid den

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  28. Briton Lewis Hamilton becomes first black F1 champion

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. John

John Well-Known Member

In no order:
    Ryder Cup
    Phelps
    Giants

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

1) Michael Phelps.... amazing feat, unlikely to be seen again

2) Giants shock Pats.... history denied

3) Bolt's triple crown.... three world records on the sport's biggest stage

4) Nadal-Federer Wimbledon.... maybe best single big match ever

5) Woods wins US Open golf... amazing one-week performance

6) Jimmy Johnson... a noteworthy accomplishment, even for a non gearhead

7) Celtics' turnaround.... a statistical record worth noting

8 ) NHL young stars.... Ovechkin, Crosby, Red Wings make game exciting again

9) NCAA basketball..... great final game even for a sport decimated by early defections

10) Favre unretires.... did he ever really leave? Did he do anything worth noting?

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have to go with Bolt over Phelps for story of the year. You want to put Phelps over Bolt for athlete I'm fine by that. But for story it's Bolt. Hands down.

My reasoning is he didn't just beat the world record in the 100 metre, he destroyed it when it mattered the absolute most on the world's biggest stage. Swimming doesn't even come close to comparing in importance to track and field at the Olympics and the 100-metre is its showcase event. And for good measure he did it in the 200-metre as well and helped the relay team do the same.

I can understand a sense of pride and nationalism for most on here in voting for Phelps over Bolt (even still Bolt should at least be No. 2 where as most on here have left him out of their top 3 altogether), but then that would be like me trying to argue the Stanley Cup being a more important event than the Super Bowl. In the grand scheme of the sports world it doesn't compare.

1) Bolt
    2) Phelps
    3) Super Bowl
    4) Tiger Woods
    5) Mitchell Report
    6) Federer/Nadal
    7) Phillies end World Series drought
    8) Celtics
    9) Infusion of young talent in the NHL, Red Wings win the Cup
    10) Ryder Cup

I think the economy's effect on pro sports will be the biggest story in 2009. We're just starting to feel the impact of the recession now, and chances are it will be much worse next year.

That's my honest, unbiased -- well as unbiased as I can be -- list for what were the Top 10 stories in the world of sports for 2008.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

1-Michael Phelps
    2-Ryder Cup
    3-Lewis Hamilton
    4-Jimmie Johnson
    5-Celtics
    6-Danica Patrick
    7-Economy
    8-Super Bowl
    9-Usain Bolt
    10-World Series

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1) a tie between the Giants and Phelps
    3) Celtics
    4) Phillies
    5) a tie between Danica (woman) and Hamilton (black) breaking more barriers in racing
    7) Bolt
    8) U.S. Hoops
    9) Brady
    10) Nadal (even though it was going to happen at some point).

6. Scouter

Scouter Member

No love for Warren Sapp reaching the finals of Dancing With the Stars?

In all seriousness, I went with Phelps, G-Men and Tiger. After that I'd say Bolt, the Nadal-Federer classic, Celtics, Favre, Brady and KU-Memphis.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Phelps
    Giants
    Celtics

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I picked Phelps, Giants, Bolt. What's with the Ryder Cup votes? It was like the third most-important GOLF story of 2008. Maybe fourth, if you throw in Annika retiring.

Draft saved Draft deleted