1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Story of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 3, 2008.

?

Here are the finalists from AP, vote for your top 3.

1. Americans snap Ryder Cup drought, beating Europe for the first time since 1999

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. As young stars emerge around the NHL, Detroit beats Pittsburgh for the Stanley Cup

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Kansas defeats Memphis in a classic NCAA men's basketball final

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Big Brown wins two legs of Triple Crowns but pulls up at Belmont; steroid use causes stir

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Champ Car World Series merges with Indy Racing League, unifying American open-wheel racing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jimmie Johnson wins third NASCAR title, tying mark set by Cale Yarborough

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Swimmer Michael Phelps wins eight gold medals at Beijing Games, setting individual mark

64 vote(s)
    90.1%
  8. Cyclist Lance Armstrong says he will come back to racing in 2009

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Twice-beaten LSU thumps Ohio State to win college football's national championship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Giants stun Patriots, ruin New England's perfect season, with Super Bowl win

48 vote(s)
    67.6%
  11. Lady Vols win Tennessee's second straight women's basketball title, routing Stanford

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. Boston Celtics complete NBA's biggest one-season turnaround by beating Lakers for title

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  13. Economy: Downturn hits baseball attendance, NASCAR sponsorships, LPGA Tour, among others

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  14. Underachieveing Spain beats Germany in Euro 2008 final; first title for Spanish since 1964

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  15. Danica Patrick becomes first woman to win a major open wheel race, the Indy Japan 300

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  16. Tiger Woods has knee surgery following US Open win, can't practice until 2009

14 vote(s)
    19.7%
  17. US men's basketball wins Olympic gold medal for first major title in eight years

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  18. Baseball owner George Steinbrenner officially gives up control of the New York Yankees

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  19. Tom Brady injured in opening game, leaving NFL without one of its biggest stars

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  20. After 46-hour rain delay, Phillies beat Rays in five games to capture World Series

3 vote(s)
    4.2%
  21. Brett Favre retires, unretires, forces trade to Jets; then leads New York resurgence

8 vote(s)
    11.3%
  22. Sprinter Usain Bolt wins three golds, sets three world marks in Olympic track and field

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  23. Ireland's Padraig Harrington wins the British Open and PGA Championship

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. Chinese keep first women's gymnastics gold after being cleared of underage athletes charge

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  25. Hall of Fame lineman and longtime NFL players union chief Gene Upshaw dies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  26. Rafael Nadal upsets Roger Federer at Wimbledon, ends Federer's record stay at No. 1

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  27. After congressional hearing on Mitchell Report, feds investigate whether Clemens lied in steroid den

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  28. Briton Lewis Hamilton becomes first black F1 champion

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I went with Phelps and hte Super Bowl. I threw in the Lady Vols championship cause it brought me great joy. I don't really think it rises to such a high level, but I couldn't come up with a third one.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Johnson won a championship in three-consecutive seasons. He's such a dominant driver. Say, if an unknown came to knock him off, then it would be bigger news, IMO.

On the other hand, not every NFL team goes into the Super Bowl undefeated, nor does a swimmer win eight gold medals at every Olympics, or does a sprinter set two world records (one of which was deemed nearly impossible to beat -- the 200).

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I voted for only one because I can't read.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm stunned the Ryder Cup is getting very little love.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Well, we now know who the first two voters for that are. :D

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Who's the other? I skimmed the thread.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Phelps in the pool is at the top of the list.

Phelps out of the pool is at the bottom of the list.

Everything else is in between.

8. Just curious, what were your other two?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Phelps is No. 1. Giants-Pats is No. 2. Those are easy.

Hard pick for No. 3, but I chose Tiger's U.S. Open. Such an amazing, thrilling tournament. Other than Bolt and Wimbledon, I really don't have many vivid memories of the rest.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

1. Phelps
    2. Giants-Pats
    3. Celtics

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Me and you.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My first two are not up for debate.

1. Michael, Michael, Michael, Michael, Michael, Michael, Michael, Michael.
    2. Giants beat Patriots
    3. Brady out for the year.
    4. Favre comes back.
    5. Bolt flies to Olympic wins.
    6. Phillies beat Rays.
    7. Tiger caged.
    8. The reign of Spain in Euro 2008.
    9. It's the economy, stupid
    10. Kansas beats Memphis.

Draft saved Draft deleted