1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 sj.com poll setup...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 10, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's time to start thinking about it. I m not asking for volunteers yet -- don't want to see anyone volunteer yet, tho I have talked to a couple people all ready.

Why?

Well, not only is it too early, but there are some ground rules we have to go over first, then you can decide if you want in or not. Some of these rules can be up for debate; others can not.

Basically, it's the same as last year -- AP rules rule, only teams in the grouping formerly known as Division I are eligible.

If you were in last year, you're in this year if you choose -- and can follow the time frame. Once all those people have been accounted for, I'll open it up to new blood. Fifty is the total cutoff -- last year we had 35 and ended up with 30. It doesn't matter how many posts you have, you're welcome. However, if there are more people who want in than there are spots, I will pick and choose.

The deadline each week is noon Central time Monday -- that's 1 p.m in the east, 10 a.m. in the west and damn early in Alaska and Hawaii. If you can't hit it, DON'T SIGN UP! Let me emphasize this again. While it sounds cool and all to do, I'm doing this on my own time and don't have the time to chase people down. Sorry to be a hard-ass, but that's the way it is.

"Oh, I forgot" doesn't cut it. The poll is due on Monday, Monday comes every week. If you work late Sunday and plan on sleeping in Monday, do it before you go to bed. With all due respect, the games are done like 1 a.m. Saturday -- that's 36 hours to get it done.

There are two people last year who I don't mind being late and they know who they are. They are exempt because I value their opinion, kind of enjoyed chasing them down each week and this is not a democracy. If you're unreasonably late or miss two weeks, thanks for playing. If you know you're going to be late and tell me, then make sure you hit the deadline.

The other point to stress is the one rule I asked for last year -- give it an honest effort. I threw out ballots because of obvious homerism and/or oblivion (the new week's pick mirrored the previous week's AP poll). If you dont have time, don't do it. If you think you might not have time, don't do it.

But an honest effort is not excluding a 6-0 team from the poll and responding when challenged, "Oh, I don't like that school because it's my alma mater's rival." or "I've never been a fan of that school." An honest effort is one devoid of homerism or realizing that the other guy might be pretty good.

He'll shoot me for this, but one of the biggest SEC bashers on here is spnited. yet, every week he recognized that they had some pretty good teams. He didn't exclude teams because they were from the SEC, but he also tempered his ballot with teams from flyover country. If you see one conference more than another, I understand your view is going to be slightly skewed. If you exclude teams because you don't like the style of football, or think Mike Slime is an idiot, don't participate.

If you have suggestions on how to improve this year's poll, besides making sure I don't have a vote, please let me know. Am toying with the idea of posting everyone's picks each week, as I did with the final poll, but also enjoy the anonymity of the voters each week, letting them reveal their picks. However, that also might eliminate people putting Boise and Hawaii 1-2 to start the season, or putting 12-0 Ohio State 10th in the final poll.

Be honest, be attentive and be on time. If you can do that, consider yourself welcome to participate. If not, I hope you enjoy reading it each week. Voters will be sought in a couple of weeks. And yes, Canuckistanis are welcome.

The floor is now open....

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Re: Setting up the 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football pool

Sounds awesome.

Nothing in sports is better than watching college football.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is probably the coolest thing to ever happen at SJ. I joined mostly on a lark but found myself actually, gasp, paying attention to college football for the first time since, well, ever. I enjoyed the hell out of it and can't wait to participate again.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

even though you said this isn't a signup thread, can i? i almost volunteered last year, but i worked saturdays - i don't anymore. oh and as a suggestion: slap, you shouldn't vote. this board has enough big ten and sec homers. :)

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

oh, and the thread title says pool. not poll.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Glad you're keeping this going. The poll threads were some of my favorites last year and I always made sure to check them for everyone's insights.

Keep up the good work.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

WFW ... well, except for the "first time since, well, ever" part. I love college football.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good. This year pay attention to the clock and calendar....

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. That's me. SEC homer. Nick Saban fan boi...
    Oh, didn't I mention that little change?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

muwahahaha, you just got called out beej.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Setting up the 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll

well slap, you do have a southern accent which i equate with being an sec fanboi.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Setting up the 2008 SportsJournalists.com college football poll

yeah. South side of Ann Arbor....

Draft saved Draft deleted