1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Okay, I have zero idea who they are giving the title shot to on Raw tonight. Although this is all speculation, I don't really think it matters who wins it because I think Cena will be keeping the title until WrestleMania when he faces Batista which has been the current plan since earlier this year.

I have a feeling Batista is going to return at the Rumble, then win it so he can face Cena at WM which makes this perfect timing to have his surgery so he's fresh heading into the Rumble.

My two cents.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Batista's out until the summer time. He had his surgery recently and the injury is pretty serious.

He'll miss WrestleMania, but is expected to be back in time for SummerSlam. My guess is June/July.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And besides, the 'injured superstar returns and wins the rumble' angle is played out.

Then again, the WWE hasn't been all that creative with story lines lately.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think they'll have Shawn Michaels win and have to give the spot to JBL because of that weird deal they have.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Val Venis is pretty quiet too, especially after Yamaguchi-San 'choppy-choppied his pee-pee"

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Or that's where they break, because Michaels decides that the world title shot means more (and in kayfabe land, shouldn't being the world champion get you more money anyway?) Maybe they fight for the No. 1 contendership in the Feb. PPV and the winner faces Cena. Or they do a retirement match at WM, which is conceivable because you could buy either of them ending their in-ring careers due to age and/or injury.

Another point about JBL's gimmick: he should have hired MVP off Smackdown to fill that role. He's been in a losing matches/money storyline for months. JBL gets him off his slump, he gets some of his heat back, then JBL either transitions into a full-time manager or feuds with MVP when he goes too far (or MVP gets a title shot that he won't give to JBL).

Funny how many wrestlers or teams/stables have gone by three-letter acronyms (HHH, HBK, JBL, MVP, RVD, nWo, XXX).

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Damn, great minds think alike. Exactly what I was thinking.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Just got back from Raw in Manchester. Good show. Legit sellout and it was a hot crowd. Although I swear this guy a few rows up from me must have been hammered because he wouldn't shut up about some wrestler who competed during the ECW tapings.

I guess you all had it right about HBK basically laying down for JBL. Kind of a crappy ending to an already crappy stoyline.

Anywho, decent show.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I thought it was a good show too, but the predictable ending kind of tainted it a bit. Strong main event though, which made up for a lack of quality matches (Matt Hardy vs. Manu tanked, Rhodes vs. Punk was too short). I did enjoy the 10-man tag match and Rey's move off the turnbuckle to Morrison was very impressive.

Randy Orton continues to impress me. His heel persona is so strong and so real (he really IS an arrogant asshole, it's not a gimmick) that I don't think you can ever turn him face. He's beginning to hit his stride, definitely the strongest heel since Edge was white-hot two years ago.

So far we got John Cena vs. JBL, Melina vs. Beth Phoenix, and Vladimir Kozlov vs. HHH at the Rumble? Smell the buyrates. The Women's Championship match will be the best of the three.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Ha, don't forget the Royal Rumble match which will probably steal the show like it always does especially with matches like we've already seen announced.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

A good RAW last night. I think over the past two months the show has really gotten a lot better than the doldrums that was spring through early fall.

The 10-man tag match was entertaining. The crowd really exploded with that victory for the faces.

Orton remains fucking awesome.

CM Punk is quickly becoming one of my faves. He's just so good in the ring.

Santino had some snarky broadcasting comments during the women's battle royal or whatever it was. I wanted to change it because I think the women are terrible, but Santino kept me there. Just the little stuff he says is so funny.

Also, aren't Regal and Punk going for the IC title at the Rumble?

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

No, Regal and Punk are facing each other for the title on Raw next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted