1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Pearl Jam tour thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just got back from the opener at the Cruzan Amphitheatre in West Palm Beach.... they closed the 1998 tour in the same venue.

No Who covers, and the levels were fucked for the first half hour or so, with Eddie getting drowned.

It straightened out though, with Better Man a rollicking blast, and Rearviewmirror, Alive and Dissident just behind.

That said, they came short of Springsteen six weeks ago. I guess that it's not fair to compare, when Bruce trots out the harp, sax, piano and organ, with virtuoso performances with all.

Eddie does have the better voice.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because of multiple weddings, I haven't been able to lock down a date yet, but I will catch up to them eventually.

And it's no fair comparing to Broooce, but PJ still put on my favorite show of all time.

October 8, 2000. Alpine Valley.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I was going to see them at Bonnarroo, but I didn't want to deal with that madhouse. Instead, I'll see them Monday in Columbia, S.C. And then I'll be in Atlanta for REM next Saturday.

4. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

They could play Rearviewmirror for the entire 2-hour set and I'd be satisfied. Far and away my favorite PJ song.

5. Simon_Cowbell

And it was incredible.

Even Flow was right up there, too.

What I really liked was the tossing in of No More from Into The Wild.

Tres cool.

They didn't do any Who, but Eddie did a Pete Townshend windmill once. Was it during Who You Are? Hmmm.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've never seen Pearl Jam in concert before, but they are on my short list of bands to see.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, I'm glad they're coming absolutely no where near me. Saw them in 1992 and again in 1994 and have been dying to see them again.

8. I'll only see them once, in D.C., as this tour is plenty east of me and comes just a month before my wedding. But I'm a dork and will follow the set lists, so it's nice to have a thread over here to check in with people who may have actually gone.

Seemed like a short show, guess they're easing back into it after nearly a year off. But the main set had plenty of good, if not chart topping, selections. Who You Are made its first appearance in 10 years...that's pretty cool.

It should continue to be a very interesting tour with no new album to support. I'd expect a ton of varied set lists.

I'm curious to know how political Eddie got last night, if at all, since I figure that will be another thing that will continue to grow, just like the setlists, as the tour progresses.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never seen them live (I became a fan only a few years back) but I own a pile of their live CDs. Terrific stuff.

10. Simon_Cowbell

BTW, Kings of Leon was perhaps the best opening band I have seen.

I was very glad I decided to get up there early.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Last week I met the guy who did those, as well as the bootlegs you can download online, at REM's concert in Chicago. He said they're doing some different things with this tour.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Seeing them three shows in a row (Camden, Camden, D.C.). Ted Leo opening on that part of the tour.

Draft saved Draft deleted