1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 NFL Week 1 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I can't remember seeing the final cutdown containing such a paucity of big-name surprises.

Chad Jackson getting whacked by the Pats surprised me a little from afar, but there wasn't much to remark on.

Anyway, I think the Dolphins and Jets will put on an entertaining game. As will Eagles-Rams and Cowboys-Browns.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Jaguars lineman's life threatened by gunshot wounds:

http://news.jacksonville.com/justin/2008/09/02/jaguar-shot-faces-life-threatening-injuries/

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

The story has been out for a while. It happened around 2:45 a.m. Area where he was shot at is not particularly violent. The incident comes after veteran running back Fred Taylor addressed the team about his disorderly conduct charge Friday night when he cursed an officer outside a nightclub. Following several arrests of Jaguar players over the last couple of years, Taylor had recently spoke about the importance of players not partying too much.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

You do realize people sleep at night, right?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

From the story...

"Jefferson said Collier and former Jaguar Kenneth Pettway had been out clubbing in the San Marco area when they met two women. The two men followed the women to Riverside near St. Vincent’s Medical Center, police said, with the plan to drop the females’ vehicle off and continue socializing in one vehicle."

Ummm... not quite buying this story, boys. Ya got another?

It was just too easy to leave their car at the club, right?

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

With knowledge of the area, the story is somewhat believeable. I don't think it was a set up. I don't think it was a robbery gone bad or mistaken identity. I think it be an ex-lover of one of the girls or someone who felt they were dissed at the club by either the girls or the players. Either way, its a fucked up thing to happen.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'm not too shocked about Jackson. The orginization was not high on him at all, although he had a nice TD catch in the last preseason game. It opens the door for Kelley Washington, a very good special teams player last season, to make more of an impact on offense. Not sure of their plans, but it wouldn't surprise me if Gaffney got starts and they left Welker at slot.

Best games of week 1 should be Packers-Vikings and Redskins-Giants. I'm interested to see how Buffalo plays hosting the Seahawks and there will be a lot of emotion in New Orleans.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Another Florida receiver who sucks in the NFL? Stunning...

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

10. Simon_Cowbell

That was a d_b by me?

11. Simon_Cowbell

I'm amazed at all the love the Vikings are getting.

Unless something drastic happened this offseason, they don't have a quarterback who can throw a pass.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

What is a d_b?
    The news was old but I hadn't seen anyone post any info on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted