1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Minimum sanctioning body standards = paying NASCAR for the "privilege" of the sanctioning.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Somewhat true, but Mansfield was a pretty spartan place that probably needed some capital investment to continue to be worthy of a NASCAR national race. They needed sponsorship cash to make the improvements. They can't race without the cash, and without that race's revenue the rest of the calendar can't be supported. A bad cycle.

Really feel for short tracks in this economy. Some will do OK because it's a cheaper entertainment option and some fans who have to give up their big-time racing fix will discover them, but others will die. Every summer weekend night I can hear the roar of a short track a mile from my house, I hope the roar is still there in 2009.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I can hear a short track that's about a half-mile from me. Some people find it to be a nuisance, but I love it. Every time I hear it, I wish I were there. For one reason or another, I only make it to about five or so races a year though. The final race this year was AMAZING. There were several races, and all of them were much longer than usual. One of them was 50 laps, which for a dirt track is a pretty long race. That track has been open for a really long time, and if anything ever caused it to close, it would be a very sad day.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Have you seen what short-track tickets cost nowadays?

It's like $30 or $40 to get in up here for the bigger shows.

5. KG

KG Active Member

The one near me runs between around $15-$35, depending on the race. It seems like I paid more for the last one, but it was local racing, plus a charity race Bill Elliot and some other NASCAR drivers did for a Childrens Healthcare of Atlanta. When it's a charity for children, I'll gladly pay a higher price.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bye-bye, Bill Davis. I remember when he came into racing as the owner of Mark Martin's Busch team (the old #1 Carolina Ford Dealers T-bird).

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3787351

7. 2muchcoffeeman

Apparently Mansfield won't even meet the absolute lowest of all minimum standards: staying open.
    <blockquote>Later Wednesday evening, the track told the Mansfield News Journal its was closing its door.

"As of right now, we will not be staying open. We have no events planned," track owner Mike Dzurilla told the News Journal. "I dealt with the unfortunate task of telling my remaining employees that, by Christmas, they would be unemployed.

"Unfortunately, this has been in the works for quite some time. I tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat, but my last option ran out (Tuesday) night."</blockquote>
    http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/truck/news/story?id=3776580

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sad to see Bill Davis sell. I got into NASCAR big time after playing NASCAR '95 on Nintendo, I always played Ward Burton's #22 MBNA car because it was a middle of the road outfit and you had to race well to do well. I began rooting for the "real" Bill Davis team for the same reason (kind of hard rooting for Roush or Hendrick). Sometimes they finished top 10 sometimes in the 20s and 30s. I'm glad he got a Daytona 500 and hope he remains involved in the sport.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Elliott Sadler ... the bell tolls for thee. Merry Christmas, congratulations on your upcoming wedding ... and we don't need you at Gillett Evernham Motorsports anymore.

ESPN.com's Marty Smith has learned that A.J. Allmendinger takes over the 19.
    <blockquote>GEM CEO Tom Reddin told team employees and sponsors the news just before Christmas, causing some sponsors to consider leaving, according to team sources. . . .

Sources also said Ray Evernham, who founded the team and sold majority ownership to George Gillett, cleared out all personal possessions from the team's shop, including the 2002 Brickyard 400 trophy he won as owner of Bill Elliott's No. 9 Dodge.</blockquote>
    http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=3795001

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Has Evernham sold his share of the team yet? Would that make it "GM"?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Junior Olympics meets four wheels...

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mansfield was the South Boston of the stupid truck circuit

Draft saved Draft deleted