1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 7, 2008.

1. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

So, since we're talkiing NASCAR here, how soon does Toyota win a race? At the end of last year I was saying second Pocono. Now I'm starting to think before the end of April.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yee-haw!

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Based on the speeds from Daytona, I think the 500 is a possibility.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

A scary thought, but yeah. And the Dodges were fast at Vegas. Could be a wild year (hoping). Or another Hendrick romp (likely).

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

And I don't know that Junior is really overrated. The fans love him to distraction, but I don't think any writers have ever painted him as the second coming. And it's not like he's a slouch with 17 wins and 11 of those at four of NASCAR's most-hallowed tracks. And at 33 years old and in Hendrick equipment ...

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The anti-Toyota crowd will be miserable this season. All three Gibbs guys make the Chase and probably bag a half-dozen wins between them.

Yes, a Toyota in victory lane for the 50th Daytona 500 would be delicious.

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I do not believe in NASCAR conspiracy theories (you know the list), but I would be willing to bet a Toyota DOES NOT win at Talladega. Actually, I bet Junior does.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Tony Stewart finally wins the big one.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The print media definitely hasn't treated him that way, but the same can't be said about TV or Internet. Yes he's won some races (some big ones too) and he's been a contendor occassionally, but I just don't see all the talent I keep hearing people talk about. He's good. That's the limit I'll put on him. Sometimes you'd think Gordon and Johnson were the ones chasing him instead of the way it really is.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll even say he's very good, but not great, absolutely not.

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I think we're about to find out. I don't know him to have an opinion on what motivates him, but I do believe he has as much raw talent as about anyone I've seen over the years. But part of the equation is equipment, and at this stage of his career he's either been in mostly inferior equipment or he's too hard on the equipment he's got. THAT'S what we're finally about to learn.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Junior said on the media tour that when the next "Top 50" drivers list comes out, he wants to be on it. He said he's proven himself to be a good driver, but not a great one. He knows this is his last chance to do that.

The kid's not delusional. (I call him kid even though he's got like two years on me)

Draft saved Draft deleted