1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 - My Short List

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Based on what, exactly?
    She's popular. She's trusted, probably more than anyone else in public life. Where's the downside?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of voters who don't want to be perceived as worshipping at the altar of Oprah. She'll probably attract more voters than she repels, but there's no question she'll repel someone.

Jonathan Franzen and all that.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If I voted based on endorsements I would vote for Oprah's canidate before I would vote for Schills

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Probably a question for a different thread....but are people really influenced by endorsements? Celebrity endorsements?? Really?

5. Boom_70

Well last election you used all your charms to try and get me to vote for John Kerry and I was not buying.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So I'm guessing you will not be influenced by Oprah.

7. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Even shorter list: both nominations go to the respective conventions.

It then becomes an all-Tennessee race.

Frickin' talking heads wouldn't know whether to shit or go blind.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would say absolutely people are influenced by celebrity endorsments. Why would people go after them in the first place if they didn't think they had an impact?

In a way it's a similar thing to state and national officials getting endorsed by local or national newspapers through the papers' opinion pages.

I think Oprah's endorsment helps Obama greatly.

9. Boom_70

Ahh no - I will be influcenced more by what Obama says. In many ways, who we have a chance to vote for is in the hands for 2 states - Iowa and New Hampshire. As much as we may all like Obama we may be plumb out of luck if he loses primaries.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is that any better than the all-Arkansas race it's shaping up as now?

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If Oprah is involved, count me out of the Obama fan line.

That bitch set U.S. beef back a few years ago, making proclamations that would have gotten anyone else arrested. And after she was shown panicking with fear over it, she quickly changed her tune to one of boasting and obnoxiousness when the government declined to press charges.

I seriously can not see what the hell makes her such an icon.

12. Boom_70

Revisting my short list now that Iowa is done :

1 McCain
    2 Obama
    3 Romney
    4 Huckabee

Sorry that Biden was weeded out. I do like him and feel that he had the greatest handle on the overall geo political situation of the world today.

I really like how Obama handles himself .

On to New Hamshire.

Oh BTW - did you know that Rudy was at the Twin Towers when they fell?

Draft saved Draft deleted