1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 MLB Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Precisely. If both of them become big-time prospects, last I checked trades weren't illegal.

And if Hewitt stays at SS, I'll be shocked. Hell, if he makes it to AAA I'd be shocked.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Why do you say that?

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

He just won't hit enough. I suppose it's possible he'll develop that ability, but he's so raw that he'll need to work on a lot more than most first-rounders.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't know. ESPN.com's draft list is updating, but there seems to be a lot of gaps in the picks. For instance, they've got someone going to the Phillies at pick 51 and then someone going to the Nats at 55. Does that have to do with the compensation picks or are they missing picks? I'm confused.

Also, how many rounds today? I'm watching to see if a specific player goes, and I'd like to know how long I'll be stuck at the office.

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

5 today, rest tomorrow.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The whole lets take 5 between picks in the first round had me turning it off after the first pick. The hell if I'm sticking around to watch all that about guys I've never heard of.

Bud Selig can't take his eyes off the teleprompter.

And is it a rule that when announcing picks, your script must go, word for word, "with the UH, first pick...." ?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

appreciated.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They're into the sixth round now, so I guess they're going past round 5 today. Balls.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Was just told it was 6 today. That doesn't make sense, but it's 9 p.m. so I'm guessing they're about done.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

last pick of the sixth is in. hopefully that's it.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

No one talking about Day 2?
    What's up with that.

A local kid was drafted by the Pirates in the 15th round, so that's all sorts of cool. Considering we live in a town with weather much better suited for hockey than baseball, it's a pretty rare event.

And Pirates fans, I can promise you you won't have signability issues with this one :)

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

He must be a good player. It must be really hard to take batting practice when there's icicles forming on your nose.

Draft saved Draft deleted