1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 MLB Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Watching this draft is just weird.

Nothing against the Nats, Moddy, but I swear I heard crickets chirping when they made their first pick a little while ago.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In the parlance of the times, Justin Smoak is a major Major Oglivie...

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hosmer might have more signability problems, being a Boras client and a high school kid who could always go to Arizona State (where he committed) if the money's not right.

Either way, I'm just happy to see the Royals taking top talent as opposed the ones most likely to sign.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

The Brewers got a catcher, like I was asking for ... just not one of the top 3 I wanted (knew it would be a stretch to get one of them).

Lawrie is "raw" defensively ... so what else is new with a Brewers prospect?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is "raw" a polite way of saying he sucks?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What percentage of the first rounders make the bigs? 40? Is that too high a number?

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Does Selig have to nod every time he leaves the podium after saying "x team is on the clock"?

8. Norman Stansfield

This kid has DH written all over him.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/reports_popup.jsp?popup=yes&content=lawrie

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Yep. Not sure how I feel about this pick ... ask me again in a year after he's behind the plate a bit more.

11. Norman Stansfield

I wonder if The Crew is projecting him as strictly a C at this point...I haven't read anything from Haudricourt on it today so far.

Jim Callis raved about the kid, saying he plays on the Canadian National Team, which uses wood bats and plays against pro teams.

I guess we'll see how that all translates.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

From Haudricourt: http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/06/05/brewers-draft-lawrie.aspx

Brewers seem very, very high on him and feel fortunate to get him ... I'll trust Jack Z. on this. Just would be more comforting knowing he was a true catcher.

Draft saved Draft deleted