1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 MLB Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Trey,

He's from Brooklyn originally. The Boys' Club of New York helped put him into the prep school chute. He's already been worked out by the Mets, Brewers and Phillies.

http://www.courant.com/sports/highschool/hc-hewitt0605.artjun05,0,4432623.story

Alvarez is from Washington Heights, like Manny Ramirez. It's said that the tennis team would put everything down and stop what they were doing when he was hitting. The ball jumps off this kid's bat.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Brewers have that many top picks? Lord.

LaPorta is on his way...

Where are all of these guys going to play?

They might own the NL with the Dodgers for the next decade.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

LaPorta's already at Double-A, on the fast track.

The organization knows what to do with the draft better than just about any in the big leagues.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

OOP -- Oh, I know what they passed up in Wieters. But the PGH front office wanted no part of Boras, so they get what they get in Moskos. I think Wieters will be in Baltimore by September. Saw him down this way in a Carolina League game and it was a man-against-boys scenario.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Brian Matusz from University of San Diego is projected as the top pitcher in the draft. Junior lefty was 12-2 this year and leaves as USD's all-time strikeouts leader. He was West Coast Conference pitcher of the year and tossed a three-hit complete game shutout of Cal in the opening game of the NCAA Long Beach regional last Friday. He's got four go-to pitches. I don't think he'll last past 5 or 6th pick overall.

Edit update: Matusz goes fourth overall to Baltimore.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If he has a bum shoulder, I'm sure the Pirates will grab him.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wieters will play in the Carolina League All-Star game, and then go to AA the rest of the year. He'll start on opening day in Baltimore next year.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Thanks to Jack Z.

Would like to see them load up on some arms this time around ... or a good catching prospect.

Re: LaPorta ... he'll probably get bumped up to Nashville soon (maybe along with Gamel), then get a September call-up. Probably will see him starting for the Brewers in right field next year, moving Hart to center.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'll be curious to read why the Royals picked Eric Hosmer and opposed to Buster Posey, who with his glove and bat at catcher could have easily gone No. 1 to the Rays. Not that Hosmer's overrated at No. 3, but I am curious to see why they passed on Posey, who slipped to the Giants at No. 5.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I've read in a number of places that Posey's skills don't necessarily translate into a surefire MLB stud. I forget the comparisons drawn, but I was like, "Wow. That's not very good at all."

I'm just the messenger...I have no idea about the guy.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My only question on the Nats' pick - can he pitch Sunday?

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Wasn't signability an issue with Posey? I thought I read somewhere that he wanted something like $11-$12 million to sign.

Also, that kid Wallace that the Cardinals picked...what a chunk! Now they've got themselves a white Prince Fielder :D

Draft saved Draft deleted