1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 MLB Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No idea. Pick the guy ranked in the top 20 prospects with the most anonymous agent and that would be a good guess.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

How bout Aaron Crow, or the LHP whose name is escaping me right now?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

All I know is, my Pirates and Royals pick at Nos. 2 and 3. So I probably don't have to watch much of the draft to get the info I need. Personally, I hope the Rays pass on Buster Posey, because I would love to see him slip to the Royals, mainly because he can help them sooner than later.

Of course, that's probably why the Rays take him at the top.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The Rays need a catcher, so it's hard to see them passing him up.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Geez, you like the Royals AND Pirates? What are you, a glutton for punishment?

At least you always have Rock Chalk Jayhawk to fall back on...

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. That would be a dream World Series for a kid born in Pittsburgh and raised for the most part in KC. Growing up, I felt I could cheat with an AL team and an NL team, because those worlds never met -- no interleague play back then.

Hopefully, both draft on talent and not money. I'm not worried about the Royals, though. They've drafted and signed Boras clients two straight years. And they might make it three.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Was one of those Hochevar?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Rays will not be taking Posey with the first choice.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080605&content_id=2844900&vkey=draft2008&fext=.jsp

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

MLB.com has this at the top of its front page right now.... Say what??
    ----
    First-Year Player Draft coverage is under way with the preview show. The Negro Leagues draft is at 1 ET, then the first round at 2 on MLB.com and ESPN2.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Anthony Hewitt, a Vanderbilt signee and another NYC kid like Alvarez, might take the money if he's drafted.

Could go to Milwaukee (6 of the first 62 picks) at 16.

Go Hewitt, go Vanderbilt.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Given that Beckman is Tampa-bound and everyone and their LOL cat has Pittsburgh choosing Alvarez, I'm feeling pretty fucking good at the moment.

That said, look for the Pirates to draft Posey and turn him into a long reliever. ::)

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hewitt attends high school in Connecticut. Is he originally from NYC?

Draft saved Draft deleted