1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 MLB Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The draft begins tomorrow with the first thousand rounds and then concludes on Friday. Are there any sure bets out there as there have been in previous years? Looking at the talent pool, I can't narrow between any stand-out players who could blaze their way through a farm system. It looks like a position-player filled draft with a few good arms thrown in there.

Who do you like to get picked early? Which teams will add to their already stacked farm systems?

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/weeks_jemile00.html

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AibkUviCGGl3TIE3uMDnVOURvLYF?slug=sh-mockdraft060308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Projection from Yahoo. They have the Pirates taking Vanderbilt third baseman Pedro Alvarez, which would surprise me because he is a Scott Boras client. Signability before talent is the mantra in Pittsburgh, which is why Matt Wieters will be making the Pirates look foolish (once again) by 2010 at the latest.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Andrew Cashner, from TCU, is a possibility as a standout player. I've seen some reports project he could be in the majors by September.

Of course, he is a BorASS client, so signability could be an issue.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I swear i thought Justin Smoak was like 24 or 25 by now...

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

The Pirates' new management has been saying it will take the best player and not worry about signability. Actions speak louder than words though.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

He's been at South Carolina since 1994, so you may be right.

8. outofplace

The front office has changed. The cheap, clueless owners are still there.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Eh, Moskos has been OK so far. Of course, the Pirates keep docking minor-league managers pay for leaving pitchers in five pitches too long ...

10. Herbert Anchovy

SI on Alvarez:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/melissa_segura/06/04/segura.alvarez/?eref=sircrc

He already turned down more than three quarters of a million to sign, so it's going to take more than the Pirates' typical chicken feed to get him in there.

11. outofplace

Exactly my point. This is the kind of player they should be drafting. It won't happen.

And Cosmo, that Orioles logo makes me think you should know what they passed up with Wieters.

12. Herbert Anchovy

So who will the Pirates take?

Draft saved Draft deleted