1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I can't imagine a scenario where Brown is in the money, but not the winner.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

OK, subjecting myself to (possible, probable) ridicule, here's what I'm taking later this afternoon at the OTB:

$20 win bets on Pyro and Gayego
    $1 trifecta, Z Fortune over Colonel John, Smooth Air, Bob Black Jack, Gayego and Big Brown
    $1 trifecta, Colonel John over Z Fortune, Pyro, Bob Black Jack, Gayego and Big Brown

Total: $80

The two horses I fear sneaking into the picture are Denis of Cork and the filly, Eight Belles, but there's just not enough money to include everyone with a half-decent chance. You just have to make a stand and throw out some of them.

Good luck to all.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You hit that tri, you'll be able to retire.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's down.
    On Big Brown!

Lost two exactas while hanging out at the OTB. Brown needs to win.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm sorry. I'm throwing Big Brown out of everything.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hearing all these "hedge fund" guys betting Big Brown to 8-5 or whatever, whether it works out that way or not, is a big red flag to me. I hope the buddy who I entrusted $20 to for trifecta combinations doesn't hit him too hard.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

After watching the Oaks today, I really like Eight Belles. Proud Spell was the best horse in that race, and leading up to the Oaks, all the talk was about how anyone was going to hang with Eight Belles.

She may not win the Derby, but I'm guessing she's going to be somewhere around the top.

Speaking of fillies, I always wished Silverbulletday would have run in the Derby. That was an amazing horse.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You know, I hadn't read this thread since the beginning, and have had a very busy week. Didn't know Big Brown was coming from the outside. that throws EVERYTHING up in the air.

I do like Z Fortune, if only for my Albarado love. I know nothing of the horse.

I think I'd tri-box Z Fortune, Pyro and recapturetheglory. But that could change if I have a chance to do more research in the next 5-6 hours or so.

9. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Is it too early to start knocking back a few mint juleps?

Of course, I prefer my juleps minus the mint, sugar and water — just give me the bourbon.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Colonel John is the best of the field I've seen this year.
    2. I have not seen Big Brown
    3. "Superhorses" who have not yet run the Derby make me very, very nervous.
    4. So it's Colonel John. Won't make money, but....

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, so I'm an enabler. But my brother said he's not betting on the Derby...I did get his picks though.

He LOVES Big Brown. Started going on and on about shit I don't understand, but he's still high on this horse.

He told me to do a $1 tri-wheel with Big Brown over Colonel John, Pyro and Denis of Cork over those three plus two horses of my choice (now leaning toward Z Fortune and either Eight Belles or Big Truck).

All of which will run me $12-15.

If I go with Eight Belles I'll put $5 to show on Big Truck. I'll always take a flier on a 50-1 horse.

12. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Don't love anyone in this field, but I really like Col. John to take it down. Two long shots I like are Tale of Ekati and Court Vision. Will be pulling for both down the stretch.

For the Big Brown crowd, one positive is the 17, 18 and 19 holes are gonna be charging toward the pace ... so that should open up some room for him to settle in. Still not ideal, but could be worse.

Though speed doesn't usually hold up well in the Derby, I have this nagging feeling that someone's gonna get out by himself and have a chance at stealing this. Bob Black Jack doesn't belong in this race normally, but if those outside horses don't get close enough to pressure him, it could be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.