1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Big Brown drew the 20 post? Ouch.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Pyro at 6 and Gayego at 15 are good bets.

Big Brown's post position can help him or hurt him. It all depends on if he gets out quick. If he can get out quick and close in, it may help him. But (IIRC), no horse has ever won it from the 20 spot, even though Gato del Sol took it from 18 in '86 and there have been three from 16 since 1990.

Pyro and Colonel John both got good draws, as long as they don't get stuck in the middle early on.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Parked cars the first time I worked ... made about $80 in tips from people asking me who I thought would win. One old lady won a few hundred bucks on the Derby and gave me $50.

Each time after that it was opening doors for people coming through the Clubhouse going to one of the bars. Met a few celebs that way, and got $75 from a very drunk Carlos Bernard (Tony Almeida on 24) one year. He won something like $1,000 on the Derby and gave me a (small) portion of it because I'm a huge fan of the show and because I was so nice to him.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Nice. I passed out Courier-Journals for three years for fundraising.

It sucked.

5. I started doing my research, watching videos and such, last night. I like Pyro and Colonel John in an exacta box and add Big Brown for a trifecta box.

I think a sleeper could be Recapturetheglory.

But then again, I haven't won a derby bet since I put $20 on Funny Cide a few years back and came out with $300.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

With my own Big Brown lying right next to me -- there can be no other bet out of this house.

Don't like that 20 slot, though.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He won't be 5-2 out of the 20 hole.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So my 100 bones will get me? You think he'll go off at 5-1?

9. Please tell me that you are not in the bathroom!

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe. The smart guys who won't bet a 20-post horse won't outnumber the chalk-eaters, IMO, so it's going to be tough for a 3-1 favorite to get to 5-1. On the other hand, I can't believe any horse in this field is so much better than the others to justify a 3-1 price.

I'll definitely use Big Brown in my action (me and my buddies pool a bunch of money and throw 5-6 horses together in a tri box), and I too like Recapturetheglory.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You'll get your 4 or 5-1. But, you're not going to sniff that race. He's only been out front, and he's not going to get there from the 20 slot. 19 and 20 slots are the dick of death.
    Take half that, put it on John. Been running on poly; dirt will feel like he's been running in sand all along. (Like Gayego at better price for the same reason).

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I covered my first two Derby's at a 10,000-circ and was never treated with anything but respect by the Derby flaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.