1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Heisman Trophy thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 10, 2008.

?

Of the finalists, which one does SJ.com--and there are Heisman voters on the board--wins College Foo

1. Colt McCoy

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Sam Bradford

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Tim Tebow

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The kids that lose don't get ice cream because, well, they lost. My point was that if the kids that don't win feel like losers, someone did a piss poor job of raising them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think Bradford should win it. I think Tebow will. At least this year there are multiple deserving candidates and legitimate suspense.

As for the losers sitting there at the awards ceremony, how many other players would love to be in their shoes?

One other thing. Why would McCoy be the runaway favorite next year if Bradford is only a sophomore?

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with any of the three winning it. But I am amused at Florida fans. Last year, their argument was that Tebow's stats were so ungodly, he had to win it. This year, they're saying, "Well, you can't judge on the stats. He made his team better. He willed them to victory in the SEC championship."

Blah, Blah. Are there any fans in America more full of shit than Gator fans?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Bradford is a draft-eligible sophomore because he was redshirted. Everyone seems to think he'll be the top QB drafted if he goes, so I don't know why he wouldn't go ...

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Didn't realize Bradford was redshirted. I don't see why he'd stay then, either.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

My ballot:
    McCoy
    Bradford
    Tebow
    In the 13 years I've been voting, this has to be the toughest year, they all have a chance to win.
    I just think McCoy's accuracy and his running gives him a slight edge over Bradford's huge numbers. Tebow's stats and intangibles make him a 2A in my book.
    I really thought long and hard on how I voted.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Money Mel Kiper says he's number two to choke artist Matt Stafford.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is a lot of love out there for Matthew Stafford right now. A lot of people love his arm, some question his height a little. He's not the 6'5" prototype and even though they have him listed at 6'3", he might not be quite that tall.

Another big thing is that all of those guys--Tebow, Bradford, McCoy--play in a spread offense, and a lot of pro player personne people are wary of the spread. Even if a guy out of the spread has the size and arm strength, they question whether he has the ability to stand behind center, take a snap, drop, go through progressions and make much quicker reads than he had to in college. Stafford played in a pro-style offense, which will boost his draft prospects, because it's easier to visualize him in an NFL game from watching what he did in college. The combine will mean a lot for his prospects. He probably still needs to mature some. He didn't do as well this year against the better defenses he faced. I can never figure out which QBs are going to be good pros, and he's as much of an enigma as any.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bradford will probably get it.

I like McCoy.

But the thing with me about Tebow is, what, last year he was the best player and this year all of a sudden he isn't the best player because the stats are a bit lower? Why wouldn't he get it?

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

So if he comes back in 2009, he should automatically win again?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you all will indulge me for just a moment...

Should Tebow win the Heisman on Saturday and Florida wins the BCS Championship Game, he'll have two titles in three years and consecutive Heismans. What more would he have left to prove? Why would he stay for his senior year?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If he is anything close to last year and this year, why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted