1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Heisman Trophy thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 10, 2008.

?

Of the finalists, which one does SJ.com--and there are Heisman voters on the board--wins College Foo

1. Colt McCoy

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Sam Bradford

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Tim Tebow

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. sg86

sg86 Member

Tebow will win because no player has ever had ESPN campaign for them this hard in the history of the award.

You'd think this kid found Jimmy Hoffa as much as he's been on every single ESPN media property at least twice in the last four days.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The award has lost a bit of its luster, to say the least. Much of that is likely because too many guys don't stick around for four years like they did in the 70s and 80s.

I said last year that Bradford would some day win the Heisman, I just didn't think it would be so soon.

Would have been nice to have a fourth, or even fifth, finalist, even just for show and for diversity sake. I would support a rule that requires ONE defensive player to be among the finalists each year.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The award has lost its luster since it became an ESPN show that requires "finalists" to be present, so shitheads like Mike Leach can bitch that Graham Harrell "deserves to be there next to those guys."

The Downtown AC used to have a very dignified award presentation and press conference where it would announce the winner -- the only player brought to NY for the ceremony.
    Now it's more ESPN bullshit. An hourlong TV show that leaves two or three or four guys sitting there feeling like loosers while the winner gets his trophy.
    This is what we call progress?

5. sg86

sg86 Member

They should have one round of voting on the day the bowls are announced to determine finalists and another later in the week to determine the winner by ranking the five finalists.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They're big boys. I think they can handle it. Not everyone gets ice cream -- a lesson kids should learn in 2nd grade, not college.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's been like this long before ESPN. I remember seeing Marshall Faulk and Garrison Hearst flanking Gino Torretta on stage, thinking one of those backs deserves the award ... and then Torretta won it. I don't think ESPN was close to having the award back then.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's not a question of them being big boys and able to handle it.

It's a matter of fucking ESPN bastardizing everything into another fucking self-aggrandizing bullshit TV show.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I agree with that part. It's the part about the players feeling like losers that I don't buy.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I sincerely doubt any of these three players has felt like a loser, personally, for a nanosecond of their young lives, nor should they have.
    Sitting in this ceremony is just spring practice for the Draft Day green room.

11. Not many kids get denied ice cream on national TV.
    This process is pretty damned awful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

As a voter, that is my sentiment exactly. I voted McCoy, Tebow, Bradford but think it will go Bradford, Tebow, McCoy. Bradford had great numbers, but his supporting cast is unbelievable. One of the reasons he makes such great decisions is that his offensive line gives him so much time to do so. OU can pretty much dictate when it runs or throws, so Bradford is almost always working in advantageous situations. McCoy and Tebow have to create a lot of their teams' offense with their feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted