1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Fantasy Baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Proposed to me: Joe Nathan for Ben Sheets straight up.

My current starters: Johan Santana, Ben Sheets, Ubaldo Jimenez, Mike Mussina, Ricky Nolasco, Chris Carpenter, Gil Meche (stream start sort of guy), Aaron Harang about to come off the DL.

Relievers: Broxton, Lyon, Brian Wilson.

I'm inclined to take the offer for several reasons. Sheets has really struggled since July 4. Strikeouts are way down since then, WHIP is up. ERA is up. And he's never been known as the most durable guy. I really can't make up a lot of ground in saves (maybe one point), but Nathan is a much safer WHIP/ERA option and strikes people out, the sort of guy you plug in and don't worry about. 10-team mixed league where lots of good SP options are out on the waiver wire.

What say ye, SJ fantasy seamheads. Yay or nay?

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

How did that decision to play Buehrle over Soria work out for you, Kevin? 8)

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

An emphatic yay.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I agree. Nathan is one of the best closers out there, and I agree with your points about Sheets being injury-prone and going downhill in the last month.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would lean toward taking it, too. Nathan is just so good, but it depends on the format. Is it daily or weekly transactions? How many starters and relievers can you have active at one time?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

TAKE IT!

Nathan is lights out. And I'm not just saying that because I have him on my team.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Was rather a shitty decision, Cider. I dropped Buehrle immediately after his last start and put Soria back into the lineup. I proposed a trade a week ago for Nathan and Sheets, but in my league, no one checks their teams so it's a rather annoying league to play in.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Well, you should win then. Seriously though, good call on putting Soria back in.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I guess, but you're leaving yourself awfully thin at SP. How deep a league is this?

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Sheets is also lights-out, right? I mean, wouldn't 10 innings a week (average) of awesome performance top 3 innings a week from Nathan?

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Guys, I have a trade offer that I'd like some help with.

I'd be giving up: Scott Kazmir, Bobby Jenks and Miguel Tejada.
    I'd be getting back: Mike Aviles, Victor Martinez, Jonathan Sanchez and Fernando Rodney. I have been told that a counter off that had Josh Johnson instead of Rodney is possible.

My situation. I have been in need of a 2B for a long time. However, I have Ryan Theriot there now. I also am in need of a catcher, and when Martinez gets back that fills a need if he's even 80 percent.
    However, I really don't want to get rid of Jenks and Kazmir, I think that's a lot to give up for a couple of hitters. I already have a decent lineup, but I was just trying to fill a need. Any thoughts?

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go through with that trade. Rodney isn't worth two shits in a bucket.

Draft saved Draft deleted