1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Fantasy Baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Feb 4, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not a bad set of choices. I might take Billingsley over Tejada, though. Tejada's off-field situation and the downward trend in his numbers concern me and Billingsley is already pretty good and getting better.

2. outofplace

It definitely helps Bedard, and not just for the reasons you mention. He will also get better support from his offense, from the defense behind him and, most importantly, from one of the best closers in baseball. Huge difference between Putz slamming the door and the mess of a bullpen in Baltimore blowing games for him.

The deal also helps Adam Jones. He is more likely to be playing every day from the start this season and moves to a more favorable hitter's park in Baltimore.

3. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'm starting up my own keeper league. The basics: 10 teams, H-2-H, AL & NL players, nine hitters and five pitchers for the active roster. My question is the scoring. Should I have six categories for hitting (OBP, HR, TB, RBIs, runs, SB-CS) and pitching (ERA, WHIP, W-L, saves, Ks and either Ks/9 or HRs allowed) or six for hitting and five (take away the last stat) for pitching, so there's less of a chance for ties?

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'd go five for each. If you go six for one, you automatically overvalue hitters compared to pitchers, which doesn't seem like it'd be as fun. I'd get rid of total bases. Or, you could go six each, though Ks/9 is a little redundant.

5. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Anyone have any idea what round Joba Chamberlain might go? It's all but official he's beginning the year as a reliever and will change to a starter after June.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He'll go early. At least in the first five rounds.

7. outofplace

Chamberlain has thrown 24 innings in the major leagues, mostly against hitters who had never seen him before. His role for this season is undefined and there is talk of his innings being limited to 140.

I want in any league in which he would be taken in the first five rounds. I could use the easy victory.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

With his hype and the nerves on draft day, I'd be surprised if someone in a 12-team league didn't take a chance on him with one of their first five picks. That's 60 players chosen. Chamberlain will go in the first 60 in many, many drafts.

9. outofplace

Probably. I just hope it happens in one of mine. He has no business being in the top 100 selections even in a keeper league.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Same here. I grabbed Liriano with my last pick two years ago, and Lincecum and B.J. Upton with my last two in leagues last year.

11. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I agree with OOP. As incredible as he was last year, let's just remember how much time he's logged in the Major Leagues. Plus, who knows how he'll handle the transition back to a starter, only against the highest caliber of hitters around. These aren't some Double-A chumps who will swing at any garbage slider (not that he has a bad slider) in the dirt. Plus, he'll also have to pace himself against some very patient and crafty hitters. If someone wants him in the first 10 rounds, take him. I'd be stunned if someone took him earlier than the 12th in my two money leagues.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Report back to us after the drafts. Because if he doesn't go by Round 7, I'll be stunned. Twenty-four innings or not, someone will get excited and jump the gun. It happens every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted