1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Fantasy Baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Feb 4, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Maybe they're looking at his time in the pen.

2. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

New question:

12-team keeper league. Keep 7 players. It's a points league, not a traditional roto league:

W (6 points), IP and K (1 pt. each) are high value and WHIP is pretty irrelevant (3H or 3BB = -1 pt).
    For hitters, low strikeout totals (-1 each) and stolen bases (1 each) are key. HRs (6 points solo, 7, 8, 16 for grand slam) are helpful too. You also lose points for errors (-1 each) and caught stealing (-1).

2 issues:

1. I have eight grade-A guys -- Johan, Webb, Harang, Martin, Morneau, Tulowitzki, Lowell, Holliday, Carlos Lee. I also have Asdrubal Cabrera, Jacoby Ellsbury and Hunter Pence. Do I attempt to trade away experience for the upside of the younger players?

2. I have been offered Ichiro, Vlad and John Lackey for Holliday and Santana. Should I stay or should I go? the biggest drawback is it gives me even more players that I would have to cut/trade for picks before our March 1 roster deadline. Although it is 3 quality guys.

muchas gracias.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe. He was pretty nasty out of the pen, though he was being severely overused. They could not have done a worse job in terms of abusing the guy's arm last year.

4. outofplace

With only seven keeper spots, I don't like that trade for you unless you are sure you can make other deals. I say stay put and cut from what you have. I'd see if you can find another way to get Ichiro, because of the premium on steals in your league, without taking 3-for-2.

Of the nine "Grade-A" guys you listed, I think Lowell is an easy cut. Nice player. Not as good as the others. Santana, Webb, Morneau, Tulowitzki and Holliday have to be locks. With the high value on wins, IP and strikeouts, I would keep Harang, too. That leaves Martin or Lee. At that point ask yourself if Martin still works for you if he isn't stealing as many bases. Torre isn't afraid to let his players run, but he might not want his catcher doing it. Tough call, but I'd keep Lee over Martin.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I agree that the deal is bad and that Lowell is the first cut. I would probably keep Lee & Martin over Harang though.

6. outofplace

In most formats, I would agree with you. But in a points-style league with a high premium on innings pitched and strikeouts, Harang becomes extremely valuable with at least 231 2/3 innings pitched and 216 strikeouts in each of the last two seasons.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

"I'm Rick James BITCH!"

8. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I change that statement: they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Bill James and Rick James.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

How much do you think the Bedard trade changes his fantasy value? He goes to a pitcher's park in Seattle and a less-talented division. I have been seeing him rated as high as three overall for pitchers.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Alright, this might be a good place to ask: I need keeper advice from my league from last year. I got smoked, by the way. We go 5x5, all leagues, 25 total spots, plus four minors spots. We can throw as many pitchers as we want.

I'm debating on which seven to keep. Here is my list:

Johan Santana
    CC Sabathia
    Garrett Atkins
    Miguel Tejada
    Bobby Abreu
    James Loney
    Brian Roberts
    Hideki Matsui
    Chad Billingsley
    Daisuke Matsuzaka

I'm leaning toward Sananta, Sabathia, Loney, Roberts, Atkins, Abreu and Tejada.

Basically all my infielders are only marginal choices, but I don't think I'll be able to draft anyone better -- they're all right on the edge. I think Loney could really have a good year -- by next year he could be a top-tier 1B, I think. I'd really like to keep Billingsley, but I think there will be a lot more pitchers available than position players, so I could either get him or someone close fairly easily, I think.

I pick third in the draft. I plan on targeting a OF with that pick.

Thoughts?

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

None of the others are really worth keeping, but if you have to, lock up Dice-K. I don't see much talent on that list other than those I bolded. Tejada is getting old.

12. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Saying that this trade improves Bedard's fantasy stock is a bit of an understatement. In Baltimore, Bedard was surrounded by a bunch of iron-gloves, inconsistent offense, a suspect bullpen, a hitter's park and a killer division.

Now in Seattle, he's flanked by a stud-in-training with Felix Hernandez, one of the top defenses in baseball, a larger park and a substantially weaker division. Let me put it this way: I doubt he lasts past the fourth round in my main league, rather than the sixth, where he was originally projected to go.

Ground control to Pilot, kssssssssssssssh: please heed advice.
    I basically agree with Rumps, except on the last two pitchers. I'm naturally biased against most Red Sox players to begin with, but I like how Billingsley has progressed over the years. Plus, he plays over half his games in NL parks like Dodger Stadium, PETCO Park, AT & T Field and Chase Field. Outside of Adrian Gonzalez, the Pads have no power, the Giants could be historically anemic and the Diamondbacks are young and over-aggressive. With abilities being equal, always side with a NL West pitcher over an AL East pitcher.

Do you copy? Over.

Draft saved Draft deleted