1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Fantasy Baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm guessing Ryan Braun goes between 10-17 overall.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Braun's a good, young player. But I still don't think he's worth taking in the first round. With the exception of the last three in this list -- maybe just two -- I think these guys are a better selection than Braun, at least for now.

Third baseman better than Ryan Braun: Alex Rodriguez, Miguel Cabrera, David Wright, Aramis Ramirez, Mike Lowell, Chipper Jones.

I wouldn't use a first-round pick on him.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Braun is a tough call, just because he hasn't even had a full season yet. But if you wait past the second round, he's going to be gone in just about any league.

No question he goes behind Rodriguez, Cabrera and Wright. I can even see the argument for Ramirez, though I would take Braun higher because he provides a handfull of steals and will add outfield eligibility during the season, making your team more versatile. Braun brings some risk, but so does Ramirez with his injury history.

I think Braun is a clear choice over Jones for the same reason. Chipper just can't stay healthy and forces you to make sure you have a strong reserve at third. Lowell is a nice player, but he has never sustained his performance over an entire season before. He always faded fast in the second half. Players rarely make permanent improvements at age 33. 2007 was probably a career year.

With that much of a risk, I'd rather have the younger player.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And the idea of picking Chipper Jones over Braun is ridiculous.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Which is why I put the tag on that post: "With the exception of the last three in this list -- maybe just two -- I think these guys are a better selection than Braun, at least for now."

Jones is still a better third baseman than Braun, though maybe not in a fantasy league.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When he plays... maybe.

When he plays.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Was browsing in the magazine section earlier and there was a fantasy baseball magazine out. Forget which one though (maybe Lindy's?)

Anyway, it had Braun going 15th in a 12-team mock. Miguel Cabrera went 11th or 12th.

8. outofplace

In real baseball? Jones is still better because defense counts. Braun isn't even going to play third base this year. He's moving to left field and Bill Hall is moving from center field to third, in large part because Braun is so awful defensively.

But that doesn't matter in most fantasy leagues.

In other words, this is a fantasy baseball thread. Nobody gives a fuck about your real-world team.

9. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Lindy's is first mag to come out with an '08 edition.

As far as Braun goes, he's definitely behind A-Rod, Miggy and Mr. Wright. The eventual OF-eligibility, steals and health should put him against the latter third of that group. But I am worried about how he'll fare now that there's a book on him. Despite that, I'm still leaning towards him with my second pick (12th overall).

10. outofplace

Sounds like about the right range for him to me, Michael.

Now I've got one. Why do so many people seem to like Brett Myers as a fantasy ball pitcher. I know he has racked up big strikeout numbers before, but his ERA has never been particularly good and did have arm problems when the Phillies jerked him around last year.

Does anybody here think he's a better option than some other risk-reward types like Oliver Perez or Jared Weaver?

11. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Out of those three, I'd take Perez. Being around pitching minds like Santana and Pedro can only help him, and I honestly think Rick Peterson is a good coach for lost causes, Victor Zambrano not withstanding. Plus you add the fact he's in the NL East, plays in a great home park and faces the Nationals (sorry Moddy!) and the Marlins multiple times. He's definitely a guy I would take a long look at, maybe even as high as my third starter.

Oh, just realized this, too: BIG improvement in right field where Ryan Church takes over for Shawn Green, who had the range and mobility of a three-legged elephant.

12. outofplace

Thanks for the input. Amazingly enough, you are the only person I have found who actually likes Perez better, which just strikes me as incredibly odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted