1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Fantasy Baseball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

It's that time of year again! Competitive football is over, the NBA is slowly becoming irrelevant and the NHL is, well, the NHL. It's less than two weeks until pitchers & catchers report, so the fantasy preview magazines and talk is building...

Anyway, my main league (10 teams, H-2-H, mixed) just decided the order of the draft and I've got the ninth pick. If he's still there when I come up, I'm planning on taking Utley, but the trouble comes two picks later in the second round. My two targets are Ryan Braun and Jake Peavy. Peavy's the best pitcher after Santana, but contributes to just four of five pitching categories (ERA, WHIP, W-L, S, Ks). Braun contributes for all six offensive categories (OBP, TB, HR, RBI, R, SB-CS) and has dual eligibility at 3B and OF, but this is only his first FULL year in the bigs.

I'm leaning more towards taking Braun, picking up a power outfielder and snagging someone like Bedard or Sabathia in the fourth round. Suggestions, anyone?

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

When it comes to setting up the draft, be sure to make the order as people sign up.

That's one of the many things we've learned here at SportsJournalists.com.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes. Do an auction league.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Take Braun. Even if all things are equal, it's always better to build around hitters. And if I'm reading your post correctly, you have six hitting categories and only five for pitching, so that slants things even more for bats.

5. If anyone would like a different kind of fantasy baseball league, PM me.

I'm sure Webby doesn't want me to pimp my buddy's business on here, so take it to PM!

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I like baseball.

7. What he said.

8. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Why an auction league? Personally, I enjoy the draft because its easier to rip on people for lousy picks.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll guarantee more owners will take an auction league seriously than a regular one.

10. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Trust me with this league: they aren't exactly a bunch of Bill James apostles. Some of them probably favor Rick James (Chappelle's version).

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What's your point, sir?

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I like bacon.

Draft saved Draft deleted