1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Democratic Front-Runner is ... John Edwards (yes, he's running)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing, but almost everything you said here applies to McCain too (#2 much more than #1).

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think you are right. Giuliani and McCain are similar in a lot of ways. McCain has the benefit of being more of a brand name than Giuliani. Giuliani is probably a little quicker on his feet. But they both like a good fight. I don't think the Democrats should want to see either of them on the ticket. Sure, there is a chance either McCain or Giuliani self destruct. But if they don't--and they have both gotten pretty far already without self destructing--they will carve up a lot of the Democrats being mentioned.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Rudy's treatment of his former wife and the tacky affair he had while NYC mayor will doom him as much as being completely unplatable to the Christian lunatic fringe that the GOP so desparately needs to win a national election. I just don't see him winning the GOP nomination.

4. Guy_Incognito

In a post-Lewinsky world, I doubt that the personal problems are insurmountable. An obstacle? Sure, but not a killer. Gary Hart was a very different time.

5. cranberry

I don't think it would be much of a problem for a Democrat but the GOP "base" isn't going to approve of his antics. And wait until they find out he roots for the Yankees.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But doesn't that lunatic fringe have one of the highest rates of divorce? A guy that treats his wife poorly is no big deal to them. Remember their philosophy: Divorce doesn't threaten the sanctity marriage, gays threaten the sanctity of marriage.

7. Guy_Incognito

Please try and keep your stereotypes (that you would be outraged by if someone said them about another group of people) straight.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I know someone who recently moved to a rural part of the south from a northeastern state. In the few months she's been there she's told me stories about how all the bible-thumping church-goers have no problem having an affair, divorcing their wife, and marrying the woman they were having the affair with. Hence my stereotype of the guy treating his wife poorly.
    The lunatic fringe (aka fundamentalists) that are the ones who are most vocal in their opposition to gay marriage while having no problem with divorce. Hence my comment about their philosophy.
    Then there's this tidbit than can be found here:
    http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?page=article&Article_ID=10961
    Aside from the quickie-divorce Mecca of Nevada, no region of the United States has a higher divorce rate than the Bible Belt. Nearly half of all marriages break up, but the divorce rates in these southern states are roughly 50 percent above the national average.

According to federal figures:

* Nationally, there were about 4.2 divorces for every thousand people in 1998.
    * The rate was 8.5 per thousand in Nevada, 6.4 in Tennessee, 6.1 in Arkansas, 6.0 in Alabama and Oklahoma.
    * Of southeastern states, only South Carolina's rate of 3.8 was below the national average.
    * By contrast, the divorce rate is less than 3.0 in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York.

9. Guy_Incognito

Again, you would be equally offended if someone came here and started defending his stereotypes (think of any of the usuals - blacks, hispanics, gays, Jews) with anecdotes & statistics.

10. cranberry

Sorry, Guy, but I sincerely believe that there is a lunatic fringe of the Christian faith as much as I believe there's a lunatic fringe of the Islamic faith and I have no problem whatsoever calling it just that. I do get a kick out of social conservatives getting all politically correct on this issue, though. Just because the GOP has pandered to this lunatic fringe and used it quite cynically for political purposes (while thankfully ignoring much of its agenda) doesn't make these folks part of the mainstream.

11. Guy_Incognito

No apologies needed, I find the inconsistency revealing.

12. cranberry

What inconsistency would that be?

Draft saved Draft deleted