1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Baseball Thread: You're not getting Seven!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I hear caladryl sales are up there ...

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

How else would you think the Cubs would score their first run? Of course it come from back-to-back hits from Blanco and Dempster (and taking advantage of Maddux paying no attention to baserunners.)

3. One of the things I love about baseball is how timeless it is.
    90 feet between the bases.
    No clock.
    Generations at the game together.
    The Met PR guy always a dick.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

When the A's start shopping Huston Street -- and if Gammons is right, they will -- who might be interested, given that he's lost velocity?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bringing a tear to my eye.

When it comes to describing the timeless beauty of the game, Kevin Costner, George Will and Ken Burns are a collective pile of puke compared to you, Fenian.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the A's may have missed the boat on this one. I think they held on too long here, and there won't be much of a market.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A Yankee fan I work with pointed this out to me about Braun's new deal. The $45 million the Brewers will pay him over the next eight years is about the same amount of money the Yankees are paying Alex Rodriguez and Jason Giambi for 2008 alone.

This is a player who has less than a full season in the majors and they have to make a decision on him now to get him locked up at a reasonable rate because they won't be able to afford him later.

Wake me when the Brewers lock up Prince Fielder as well and go out and add two or three big-money free agents, too. Then we'll talk about the playing field actually being level.

But I'm sure certain big-market fans on SportsJournalists.com are blowing out their shoulders patting themselves on the back today.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're seriously claiming A-Rod is making close to $45 million this year? You mean the contract that averages $27.5 million over the course of the deal? Seriously?

9. outofplace

Sorry. Left something out as I wrote. Rodriguez AND Giambi.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

"Isringhausen" is Slavic for "Grease Fire."

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ryan Dempster: 8 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 11 Ks.

12. outofplace

I would say that is just more proof of how bad the Padres' lineup is, but Dempster has been very good all season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.