1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Baseball Thread: You're not getting Seven!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Brewers lock up Braun for seven more years:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/05/15/braun-to-sign-record-deal.aspx

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Did anyone see Joakim Soria close out the ninth inning for Kansas City last night? His strikeouts were some truly nasty stuff.

For the first time in more than a decade, Kansas City has a legitimate closer.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Aw, c'mon...this thread should be named the 7th inning stretch.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Is this really how we want to start this thread? A long-term signing by a small-market team, in light of recent events. Really?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If shit flies, the thread won't make 40 pages. If certain posters can't ignore other posters, can't resist egging them on just for fun, it won't last long. Be a shame if we couldn't talk baseball on a sports journalists' message board.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

For a team that doesn't draw flies, the Royals are disproportionately supported here.

7. Simon_Cowbell

LOL....

A Milwaukee breaks the bank and sets a club record with a $45 million deal. Tip money for the Yankees.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Way to go, Beckx.

From Tony Massarotti of the Boston Herald:
    "It's (expletive) horrible. That's the only (expletive) word for it," Beckett said last night at Camden Yards, where the Red Sox [team stats] dropped a 5-4 decision to the Baltimore Orioles. "You can't give up as many hits as you get outs when you have my (expletive) stuff. (Expletive) terrible.

"I think everybody in this room holds me to the standard (he holds himself to). I think they're all shocked how (expletive) (expletive) I can be at times. I think everybody in here knows I should be able to get more than 17 (expletive) outs in a game."

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hockeybeat raised a fair point on the last thread before it was closed.

"Perhaps before you rant about the system's unfairness outofplace, maybe you should criticize the incompetence of the Pirates' ownership and front office personnel."

HB, I have done just that repeatedly on this board. The Pirates are a disgrace. There is no more incompetent ownership group in the sport. The baseball people they have hired have been a series of horrible failures. The financial system is only one part of that franchise's problem.

None of that changes the fact that a handfull have teams have a tangible advantage over the rest of baseball that I believe is a problem. Others do not.

This topic is not the problem, Barsuk. Braun's new deal is news and it is worthy of discussion. It is great to see to see teams in mid-sized and smaller markets in baseball finding ways to keep some of their star players. It doesn't completely change the financial realities of the game, but it is definitely a positive. This is also worthy of discussion.

The problem has been that some posters are unwilling or unable to discuss those topics without resorting to personal cheap shots and insults. I hope they can do better on this thread, or just ignore me altogether, as Moddy has asked. I will try to do the same.

I am very curious to see how much Braun got, and what Prince Fielder's reaction will be. If I remember correctly, Fielder has been very unhappy with his contract. Didn't the Brewers simply renew him before this season?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This thread's the best thing about this board.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Too bad that Soria doesn't get more save chances (and I say this as a Soria fantasy-baseball owner on one of my teams.)

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Johan Santana is beginning to earn the ire of Mets writers. Seems that the lefty has started to blow off the NYC press.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.