1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Baseball Thread, Part V: A New Beginning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As for the (very legitimate) question:

Give me a closer with 2-3 "out" pitches over the "one-pitch" guys like Rivera, whose style simply can't be replicated.

Papelbon ... is simply unhittable if he can get even 2 of his pitches over. Smoltz was, too.

2. Thanks. But I didn't think it was as good as, 2008 Baseball Thread: Shitpot

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It came to my mind after I posted. I knew I would forget some closers, so I put the etc behind it.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agree with 'Gola and buckdubs. Although, you can't pin the 2001 WS on Rivera only having one pitch. Guys can get lucky. The D'backs showed that.

5. I can't imagine anyone would favor a one-pitch pitcher.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shouldn't shitpot be for like the 50th baseball thread, since it's how many bases Gomez will steal this season?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wonder what other pitches Rivera has. He came up as a starter and I saw him get shelled in Seattle in the mid-90s, so he obviously had some other stuff that was decent enough to make the majors, but what were they?
    He obviously has a straight fastball, but does he really only throw one pitch?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You prove my point. Hoffman, in his prime, had an MVP fastball, a HOF changeup and an All-Star slider-slurve thingy. Not even close to a guy like Rivera.

But yes, today, Hoffman throws pretty much one pitch -- and remains effective (sometimes) because he changes speeds.

Still, give me a guy with a starter's repertoire and a closer's mentality. Smoltz was the quintessential candidate.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

True. Just would have been a good time to have a sinker in the arsenal.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Papelbon, buck.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or a shortstop with range ... [/ducking]

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Once Papsmear does it for five years then he can be considered one of the greatest. Until then, he is just a damn good closer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.