1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Baseball Thread, Part V: A New Beginning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just saw The Mustache Man's home run. He's got quite the full swing, doesn't he, Friend?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, well, you wouldn't either. :D

Opp G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
    NYM 179 646 129 212 35 4 38 118 102 16 100 19 5 .328 .417 .571

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's an MVP season.

For a jerk.

4. I love him.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

In your minds, is it more important for a closer to have one dominating pitch (Billy Wagner, K-Rod, Trevor Hoffman, etc) or a variety of good pitches (Huston Street, Papelbon, etc).

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

This was excellent. Nice work, foaf.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

In his defense, I think he was referring to Hoffman's changeup. Although, since he left out Rivera's cutter and Gagne's changeup, his post was still rife with fail.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Braves have outscored their opponents 32-6 during their five-game winning streak, and that's with Glavine, Soriano and Moylan on the DL.

Pretty strong ...

9. Rumpleforeskin

Hoffman's change-up. K-Rod's breaking pitch (forget whether it's a slider or curveball).

Doc, if you notice, I said etc to include all the others in the mix. The ones I listed were the first to come to my mind.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So the one pitch that has propelled Rivera to a Hall of Fame career didn't come to mind?

11. Rumpleforeskin

When in his prime, Hoffman was a pitcher who brought the heat, but then could also make them throw the bats at his change-up. But still, he is dominating with the change-up and has been for a while now. I am talking closers. I am not talking about starting pitchers.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

To answer the question, I think it is better to have more than one pitch in your arsenal. Mariano Rivera just happens to have one of the nastiest pitches in the history of baseball.

As a fan, manager, teammate, whatever, I'd rather the pitcher on the mound had more option than one pitch. And Rivera only having one pitch has led to some issues in the past (ie. bloop singles that came off of a sawed off bat to win a World Series).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.