1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Baseball Thread, Part V: A New Beginning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Cubs are still in first place. Carry on. :D

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Blast! I was going to start this and call it "2008 Baseball Thread: Pujols" and then listen carefully for the explosion of A_QB's head.

3. I was thinking:

2008 Baseball Thread: Shitpots

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I was thinking:

2008 Baseball Thread: Joey Gathright

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Up next: 2008 Baseball Thread, Don't Call It Leonard, Part VI.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Five straight games with a home run for Chase Utley. He's locked into the zone right now. The Phillies are playing in Coors for at least two more games, so he could possibly tie the record for consecutive games with a home run if he stays hot.

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

and with another 22-inning game, it will be here sooner than you think.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He can tie former Phillie first baseman Jim Thome with two more (I know Thome hit seven in a row with Cleveland). Read a stat on ESPN.com that said with his home run, he joined a list of Bobby Abreu, Dick Allen and Mike Schmidt for Phillies players with five consecutive games with a home run.

Abreu finished with 24 home runs, Schmidt with 45 and Allen with 32. Hopefully history repeats itself in the Schmidt-form and not Abreu. Edit: Yet, Utley doesn't have as much power as Schmidt, or hasn't brandished it yet.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know what's with me tonight, but I've got another question.

A good season for a power hitter, in my opinion, is about 35 home runs. That's an average of about six home runs a month, and one every five days. Doesn't that seem like a slow pace?

It's great over the long run. But if you're watching Aramis Ramirez hit and not looking at the season totals, and he hits exactly one home run every five days are you thinking he's slumping in the power department?

As a fan, I think I'd start to get impatient with him, especially if it seems like he doesn't produce for four consecutive games.

10. And Nate McLouth has a 20-game hit streak.

Only 35 to catch DiMaggio. ;D

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But he's no Mattingly or Griffey. Are those two right? Or am I forgetting someone and putting Griffey in his place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.