1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Baseball Thread: Jeffrey Leonard Part 6 edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Figures that somebody would only call the Pirates a big-league team in jest.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's tomorrow. And while I hope he does well, I also hope his next start comes in Columbus, Ohio.

3. Moderator1

In all seriousness, why do they suck? I've seen them only last night and tonight so I have zippy clue. They have some guys who can hit. Does the pitching blow?

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Carlos Gomez taken off the field on cart, but alert and sitting in the front seat.

Happened on a steal attempt. Throw to second was on the bag and hit Gomez square in the helmet.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For one, I think they lead the bigs in errors.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jeebus. Sounds like he's going to be OK, from what the radio guys are saying.

7. Moderator1

I just watched an ad on Nats TV, using the clip of Nieves home run last week (damn, I got to work that in again).
    I find it interesting that a TV ad uses the call from the radio team. Maybe that's just me.

8. rube

rube Active Member

That saying something about the prowess of the Nats TV guys? I have no clue as I've never seen or heard them.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He got up under his own power and was sitting up in the cart. But they did keep him on the ground for a couple minutes to be sure.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Chipper: 43 hits in 28 games. Wow.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, the pitching blows. The Pirates are dead last in the National League with a 5.18 ERA. In the major leagues, only the Rangers are worse at 5.44.

Paul Maholm has been decent (3.26 ERA), but the rest of the starting rotation is a disaster. The next-lowest ERA among the starters is Zach Duke's 4.79.

Phil Dumatrait did have an ERA below 4.00 before tonight's game, but this is his first start of the season.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Poor Carlos Villanueva.

He and the Brewers were leading 4-2 heading into the bottom of the sixth before he gave up back-to-back-to back home runs to Tejada, Berkman and Lee.

Astros now lead 6-4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.