1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 AL/NL Manager of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Sep 11, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Well, we've had hearty discussions on every other award, but we've yet to discuss the Manager of the Year award.

I guess I'll get it started.

AL:

1. Joe Maddon
    2. Mike Scioscia
    3. Ron Gardenhire

NL:

1. Lou Piniella
    2. Ned Yost
    T-3. Jerry Manuel/Charlie Manuel

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mike Scioscia in the AL. Lou Piniella in the NL. Everyone else take a number. Both are great guys and deserve the honor IMHO.

3. Why Scioscia? His division sucks.

Maddon/Gardenhire/Guillen.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Definitely Maddon.

5. I'd probably go Piniella/Gonzalez/Cooper in the NL, assuming the Cubs hang on.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't think you can question Maddon's place in the AL right now. He's completely turned the Rays from absolute garbage to being a pennant team this year.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah no doubt about that. Without him they might have had to wait til Sunday to clinch a playoff spot.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Maddon has a lot of young talent and you're right, he's deserved. I just happen to like the managerial job that Scioscia does. His players are veterans and to see them busting their asses for him is nice to see.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Those days would have been a David Silver-like experience!

Gardy and Pinella. The fact that I know I am right about Gardy deserving it more than Maddon will be no comfort when he gets crushed.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

AL
    1. Maddon (he's taken a young team, with no fan support, well, well beyond what they've ever done)
    2. Gardenhire (they should re-name this award after him, posthumously)
    3. Scioscia (probably the best manager in the game, but he has way more talent than the two above him)

1. Piniella (who else?)
    2. (edited) Fredi Gonzalez
    3. Jerry Manuel

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Maddon and Piniella, unless the Cubs somehow lose the Central.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, Lou Piniella's a genius. He's taking a playoff team from last year back to the playoffs. My goodness, what would they do without Lou Piniella the second-highest payroll in the NL.

Meanwhile, Cecil Cooper has brought Astros back from the dead by using a pitching staff that starts Brandon Backe, Brian Moehler, and Wandy Rodriguez three out of five days. But no mention of him anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted