1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, the Bruins look for real. And, they didn't pull Fernandez last night.....he got the W.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I was watching TSN, they said he got yanked after the fourth one went in.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I saw the 2nd and 3rd and he was playing....weird. The B's even have a good backup goalie, albeit an expensive one. They have a lot of very good young forwards, 4 solid lines and are tough to play against.
    And are still a distant 4th on the local sports scene, hopefully more people start to notice how well they're playing

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If he's playing wierd, it's likely because he's imitating Thomas.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

;)

Thomas is the top ranked keeper in the NHL right now, I hope Manny plays as weird as Thomas

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Eric Staal breaks scoring slump in big way - albeit against Phoenix.

Staal's trick and a pair of goals by Ray Whitney good enough to beat the Coyotes. Three-game winning streak. Is the week highlighted by losing twice to Atlanta really in the rear-view mirror?

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

another W for the Bruins.....do ya think they'll ride the duckboats for their parade in the spring? Personally, I'm getting sick of the duckboats.....every 6 months or so another parade to celebrate a championship, they should do something different.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Boston has four good lines it trots out per night. No matter if it's Lucic-Savard-Kessel or Wheeler-Krejci-Kobasew, these lines are producing. Even when Kobasew went down with the leg injury, someone else has stepped up. Same goes on defense. Ference is going to be out for a couple of weeks, and Hunwick has filled that role nicely.

Lucic, Thornton and Hnidy can also drop 'em quick. Granted, it's not O'Reilly, Wensink and Jonathan, but great to see nonetheless. This team, barring some rash of injuries, could really go far. As it showed the other night, trailing 4-3 after one period, they completely controlled the final two periods for the 7-4 win.

Of course, with tonight's game being the third tilt in four days...at Montreal...where it's retiring Roy's No. 33...I'd be surprised if they can pull it off. But hey, they've shown they can hang.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Watching CBC's coverage of Patrick Roy's sweater retirement in Montreal. It's fantastic. Roy's walking through the concourse and shaking hands with fans.

The Habs are neck-and-neck with the Yankees when it comes to doing pomp and circumstance.

12. Baloo

Baloo Member

Burkie in an off the record tidbit has told reporters it wasn't until two weeks before the playoffs that he realized the guy's name was DUSTIN Penner, not "that f!@#$%g Penner," as the coaches always called him. Penner is overrated, and it was a bad deal by Lowe.

Regarding being in shape, comparing how guys came into camp even a decade ago to now doesn't work, because anyone who follows the NHL knows that whereas in the past camp was for getting in shape, now every NHL player with an ounce of self-respect - and a desire to play big minutes - comes into camp already in shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted